Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

repairing rot on combing below scupper

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

rannamy

Post by rannamy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:09 am

I have an area of rot approx. 3" x 4" below the window scuppers where it looks like two planks where butted together to create the combing panels on my '49 33' CC deluxe enclosed cruser. I carefully gouged it out last night and it is at least 3/4" deep.
Can anyone give me help with locating a dutchman jig to purchase or how to purhaps fab one up?
Thanks,
Randy

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:57 pm

Randy,

Wasn't aware there is a jig for that. I'm fairly new at woodworking, so not surprising.

If it's tight quarters could you use a dremel or roto-zip to square up the damage? Isn't the Dutchman (graving piece) cut out close (slightly oversize) and then hand trimmed to fit, leaving it slightly proud for sanding flush?

My only experience with this was on an old red oak drawer front that was gouged. I used a router to cut the slot, a chisel to square it up, cut the Dutchman close with table and miter saws, then used a disc sander till it fit right. I glued the Dutchman in with epoxy. The grain was a little off but not bad for an amateur.

Be sure to soak the old wood with CPES or something to terminate the rot spores.

Al

P.S. Randy, I see the Boat Show is moving to the other end of the lake in March. Will they be changing the name to Tavares too?

rannamy

Post by rannamy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:20 am

Thanks for the reply Al. The technique you described is the same way I would normally approach this. I was hoping that someone had a more "sure-fire" way of assuring that the "fit" would come out precise. I've included a picture to better describe this common challenge to repair vs. replace.

As for the boat show...I'm not sure just why the change was made. I would assume that it will not be named after the city of Mt. Dora, but whether they will use the Tavares name, I can't say. Quite a few of us are wondering if the change in location will prove to be an improvement.

Better get back to work, that show is coming fast!
Thanks again,
Randy

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:11 am

Hi Randy,

It's listed as "Lake Dora Antique Boat Festival" in Tavares, FL. Last year they had a speed boat festival there the week end before Mt Dora. They're combining efforts with them and the city is providing floating dockage that both groups can use.

It's at Wooton Park which I can't find on any on-line maps. On a satellite map there's only one area that appears to be a park so that must be it.

Good luck with your repair. I'm sure replacing would be an even greater challenge.

Al

maritimeclassics

Post by maritimeclassics » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:27 am

Is the combing board out of the boat? By your photo's you have a leak and just putting a dutchman in will not solve the problem. Also the portion that you removed needs to be past all of the darkness of the wood, the rot creaps much deeper the one thinks. Can you give us more info?
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout

rannamy

Post by rannamy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:40 pm

Is the combing board out of the boat? No By your photo's you have a leak and just putting a dutchman in will not solve the problem. The circular hole above the damage is a window scupper. (or you could look at it as a leak that can't be fixed) :wink: This is a common problem associated with the (somewhat) controlled drainage of water from decks and/or windows via a scupper. BTW, I am well versed on the benefits of cpes, etc.; having spent more than I will ever admit to my wife, on the purchase of the great smellin' stuff.

Thanks for the update on the show Al! Like I said, I really am in the dark about it all, since my life is consumed with the family business and working on this boat. There just aren't any hours left it seems.

Thanks again,
Randy

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:01 pm

Randy,

CPES does have a flavor about it. Just think of it as smelling like liquid gold (almost $$$ comparable).

I think what Mike is saying is that there may be leak at the other end of the copper scupper tube where it fits into the window track. This may be the source of moisture that caused the fungus to go active. Rot usually works in dark damp places like that and works its way outward. There appears to be an end butt joint there too that could be the culprit.

Happy Holidays,

Al