Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Hull Swelling

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

SAMBA

Hull Swelling

Post by SAMBA » Sun May 17, 2020 9:57 pm

I have kept my 1953 Sedan Cabin cruiser in the water the last few winters (covered storage on a large inland lake in Idaho that does not freeze over). However this year the boat was hauled and stored (non-heated storage). Now on a trailer and the marina is running water in the boat for one week now, will be 11 days total by the time we launch Thursday. Will stay at the launch-site marina tied at the dock a few days, but I then need to motor to my home Marina thereafter, about 30 miles. Bottom refastened 4 years ago and they did a great job, takes in normal amount of water for an old wooden boat, dramatically reduced compared to before. I know it can loosen fastenings and is generally bad to motor any distance before the hull has swelled. My question is, how long do I need to sit after launch? With 11 days running water in the hull,and 3 days tied up dockside, am I OK to cruise home in a few days if the lake is calm and the water intake in the bilge is normal and I assume the planks have swelled? Don't want to move too soon but also need the boat in home port to finish readiness for the season.
Thanks so much!
Dan (Samba)

Captain Nemo

Re: Hull Swelling

Post by Captain Nemo » Mon May 18, 2020 7:28 pm

Dan, sounds like you answered your own question. If the bottom is in good condition you should have no worries. When soaking the hull from the inside, make sure you don't let more than a few inches of water accumulate, your boat was designed to hold water out, not in.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.