Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Bottom plank caulking

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

trebot

Bottom plank caulking

Post by trebot » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:49 pm

Have '56 Continental 18'. It is plank bottom with plywood inner liner. Boat is new to me and haven't had her in water yet. Thought I'd tighten all bottom screws, caulk seams and recaulk over screw heads.
What should I use for caulk material? Is it necessary to caulk seams?
This is my 1st plank hull, and I'd appreciate any advice.

Captain Nemo

Re: Bottom plank caulking

Post by Captain Nemo » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:09 am

It shouldn’t be necessary to caulk the seams in fact, it can cause damage to fasteners and framing when the boat swells up if you do. Chris Craft designed them to not need it. I would check the fasteners in a few places for loose or broken ones first before deciding to do them all, it may not need it. Things do tend to tighten up once the boat is soaked up.
Some use thickened epoxy for screw holes. I use a good fairing compound appropriate for underwater use.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

tkhersom

Re: Bottom plank caulking

Post by tkhersom » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:55 am

This size boat should not need caulk. On our 21' Continental I use a hose to spray the hull inside and out a few times a day for about one week before launch (she is double planked without the plywood). This will help the planks swell before launch. It is also a good idea to let them set in the water for a few days before running them hard.

If for some reason you decide to use a caulking compound make sure you use a product that does not harden. On our 38' Connie I use Davis Slick Seam.
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat