Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Exhaust hole -rebuild

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

billg

Exhaust hole -rebuild

Post by billg » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:33 pm

I have a 49 20' Custom, I am stripping the transom, edges and bottom to restore it. Original bottom need TLC
What do I use to seal the exhaust pipe when I re-install it,, after I use the West Systems Epoxy and filler to fill a small void,and match the diameter od the exhaust pipe.

Also in proces of removing some old bondo someone used to repair hull bottom edges, both sides, last 4 feet, and bottom edge of the stern , I am not finding any rot, so far so good. BUt need to seal, fill and final faring. Any advice ? The boat spent its life on a far northern Minnesota lake, was restored to show quality in 1990, and been in a wet boathouse since. Needs some TLC to bring it back, but in really good overall condition. Original delivery sheet, motor and hull match. Thanks
Bill G in Wisconsin

Captain Nemo

Re: Exhaust hole -rebuild

Post by Captain Nemo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:12 pm

Hi Bill,
When I seal around an exhaust, I use some rope seal used for wood stove doors and some caulking like Lifecaulk. You can also use some caulking cotton instead of the rope.
As for the bottom repairs you describe, you might try to post some pics of the areas. We might be able to assess that a little better.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

steve bunda

Re: Exhaust hole -rebuild

Post by steve bunda » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:21 pm

Hi Bill, I have had good luck filling small areas with Marine Tex , where in wisconsin are you? I would love to see some picture.

steve