Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

slow leak at transom and hull join

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

DavidLeonie

slow leak at transom and hull join

Post by DavidLeonie » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:33 am

hi all

there is a slow leak at the join between the transom and hull on my cavalier (plywood). is there a way to fix it from the inside on the water? I have read about using a syringe to push in some 5200 .

thanks
caprice leak.PNG
caprice leak.jpg

JimF
Club Executive Team

Re: slow leak at transom and hull join

Post by JimF » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:03 am

One method I have had some success with is very old school for boats in the water. Place a handful of fine sawdust in the area of the leak on the outside. The theory is that incoming water will bring in the sawdust and clog up the leak. This actually works!
1930 Chris-Craft Model 100 20' "MOXIE"
1940 Chris-Craft Red and White 25' "Old Paint"
1946 Chris-Craft Sportsman 25' "CinCity"

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:37 am

This may be silly to ask, but.... have you checked to make sure the water is not coming from the exhaust? Possibly condensation from the metal exhaust fitting, dripping from above? The stains on the transom seem to be consistent with this.... or I am seeing things.... which is entirely possible.
1937 35' Double Stateroom Enclosed Cruiser

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:18 pm

you might very well be able to stop that one with boatlife...sets up under water...mostly....you would be best to force it in there with the caulking gun and then keep it in place with a block or brick or something until it sets up. I have actually done that on a cavalier and it lasted for years. John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)