Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

When is time to replace bottom?

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

chuck64

When is time to replace bottom?

Post by chuck64 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:21 pm

I have a 1964 Chris-craft custom ski boat . I’ve noticed more and more water being in the boat . The boat hangs in the water all season long doesn’t swell up like it used to. So I would like to know when is it time to redo bottom?

Bilge Rat

Re: When is time to replace bottom?

Post by Bilge Rat » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:07 am

No real hard and fast age determination on when to redo a bottom, but for a 58 year old wood boat on the what may be the original bottom, I'd guess the time has come. Chris Craft, like so many auto makers didn't plan for long life of their product. Only 6 years was the original planned obsolesce before you should buy another one! Plank edge compression occurs every time the boat gets wet and subsequently dries out and this is what leads to the open seams. Its a natural process of the wood planks. Pounding along in wakes and waves further stresses the frames and fasteners leading to plank movement. Stuffing a caulk of some type in open seams only exacerbates the problem as it puts more pressure on the planks/fasteners and can lead to cupping/cracking.

Modern techniques are many with replacing all inner and outer bottom wood, addressing frames as needed and using a sealant like 3M5200, epoxy resins or other bedding compounds to slow the water seepage and protect the bottom. The real issue is; how sound are the existing planks and fasteners? Having a plank suddenly open up while underway will overwhelm any bilge pump you may have aboard.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

chuck64

Re: When is time to replace bottom?

Post by chuck64 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:50 pm

Thanks for the comments.