Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

1958 CC Sea Skiff newbie

This is a focused discussion area for information unique to Chris-Craft's Sea Skiff Division.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

geremychel

1958 CC Sea Skiff newbie

Post by geremychel » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:16 am

Hey I have started going through this forum a little and see such wonderful information. I have a million questions I need to ask.

First and foremost is that my boat has an issue with the steering. Way too much play. I am thinking I need to replace the steering console or is there a person who rebuilds the mechanism that moves the rod to the rudder?

Second would appear that my boat leaks too much water. I am not sure this is due to it sitting for a while a year. It is caulked in between planks. Is that standard practice?

Thanks for the help

Just for fun here is a shot of the boat.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:23 pm

send us more pics and info!
Glued between planks...not caulked...and that is normal and good.
How much water is she taking on? Time/pump cycles etc.
See if the loose steering is from the steering box on the end of the steering column....and the arm (pitman arm) that comes out of the gear box. The wear may be in there...alos, as you mention, check to make sure that the arm to the rudder is tight on each end...pitman arm end and rudder end....
easily fixed I would guess.
Welcome aboard.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

geremychel

Post by geremychel » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:11 pm

I will take more pics when I get a chance. I did not document how long it was with pump cycles. I guess I should drop it back in and see how she does for a couple of days. And record the findings.

In between the seams is actually like caulk I would guess 52 or 4200.

geremychel

Post by geremychel » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:12 pm

geremychel

Post by geremychel » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:13 pm

geremychel

Post by geremychel » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:15 pm

See pics of bottom. Keelson has since been replaced. By Weeks Yacht yard.

motherofdog

Post by motherofdog » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:44 pm

Greetings and welcome to the Sea Skiff owner's group. We have a 1962 20 ft. Sea Skiff. She was taking on quite a bit of water at the end of last season. So this is what we did:

We took out the flooring to get a good view of the hull from the inside. Then we took her down to the lake and rolled her in to the water. I was in the inside and marked everywhere water was coming in. The biggest leak was the transome, very near the bottom where the planks meet. You could see daylight through it! While we were at the lake we marked the inside of the hull so we would know where to spend our repair time.

Then we spent the winter refastening the boards.

We will do the same again this year. It's not that we are taking on much water at all, but it just seems like a good idea to us to always keep an eye on the hull. Ours will need a new hull soon.... maybe winter 2012-13.

Good luck! Jerri

57 chris

Post by 57 chris » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:57 pm

Greetings and welcome aboard.
SeaSkiffs don't leak! If they do there is a problem that needs attention.
I've worked on quite a few 'Skiffs including my own and I can tell you that the Thiokol that ChrisCraft used is practically bulletproof so if you are getting water inside it's most likely a problem with the plywood.
I'm happy to share what I have learned throughout the years.

Craig
1957 18' SeaSkiff #SK 18675 "Knot Sure!"
1958 18' SeaSkiff #SK18722 "Wreckreation"

Past projects: 1972 19' Lancer with 307 Volvo drive-Great Blue, 1968 23' Lancer Offshore with 283 Volvo drive-Narwahl
1988 FourWinns 245 Vista - Blue Ayes.

It's good to have wood!