Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Silent Paint Remover

This is a focused discussion area for information unique to Chris-Craft's Sea Skiff Division.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

NOT Firewood

Silent Paint Remover

Post by NOT Firewood » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Has any one tried or have comments on using a Silent Paint Remover to strip the hull of my skiff?

joanroy

Re: Silent Paint Remover

Post by joanroy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:29 am

I checked out the Silent System. Basically, I'd say it works pretty much the same as a heat gun except you can set it on an area and not have to hold it. No matter what, still have to do the scraping and sanding. Could be a bit trickey setting it up on a boat hull?

Bilge Rat

Re: Silent Paint Remover

Post by Bilge Rat » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:10 am

I used one stripping the hull and bottom on my 25 foot Lyman. I got lucky and borrowed one from a generous landlord and it lived up to it's claims. It is still a slow process and you pretty much work about a 1 foot long section of each strake at a time, but after a few tries, you get the rhythm down and it's easier than scraping or using chemical stripper. Due to space restrictions in my shop back then I could not roll this boat to do the bottom so using a chemical stripper and having drip all over me was not an option. Of course, sanding is still required but the bull work of removing multiple old coats was a lot easier. Even the copper bronze bottom paint yielded to the infrared remover.

I also tried it on the interior covering boards as they are a mahogany ply and you cannot sand too much before burning through the veneer. It worked very well in removing old varnish and poly that someone used. A pricey tool but if I needed to do this task again I would buy one.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"