Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Shows, Museums, & Event Locations Category

Where do you like to visit? Who has the best show venue? How about the best funnel cakes? Ask your questions and get the answers from our worldwide network of experts.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Bill Basler

Shows, Museums, & Event Locations Category

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:26 am

By popular demand we have established a new Shows, Museums, & Event Locations category. The first thing you'll note is that is up at the top of the page under the "General" category. This means there is no marque bias here....just like shows and events. Also, this is where wood, glass, steel aluminum and canvas all come together...just like at a show.

Now is your change to brag about what lies just out your back door. Let's see some beautiful show photos, scenery, things for the wife and kids to do, lodging recommendations and so on.
Bill Basler

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:45 pm

Found this museum while researching the attached photo.

A buddy of mine found it in a stack of old family photos. I dug around on the net to discover it was a 1920 Curtiss Model MF flying boat, commercial name: Seagull. This particular model was powered by a 160 hp Curtiss C-6 (straight 6), liquid cooled engine.

Anyway, while doing some research on Glenn Curtiss, I found a museum honoring him and his machines in Hammondsport, NY. I plan on visiting this summer.

http://www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org

Although primarily a museum of flight history, there are a couple wooden boats. We all know the boats powered by Curtiss engines.

doubleboater

curtiss boat photos

Post by doubleboater » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:43 pm

that second photo of the "outdrive" and transom and engine is pretty neat. i think it was really amazing how they built things {motors, cars, planes, tractors, things mechanical}back then. they just didnt have the technology back in th early part of the century.

qukalake

Post by qukalake » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:50 pm

Gentlemen: Coming to the Curtiss Museum, and not bringing your woody, would be a shame. Hammondsport, NY is located at the base of Keuka Lake, one of the prettiest of the Finger Lakes, public launch available, and home to 15-20 PennYan’s, Chris~Craft’s, and Lyman’s. We even have a resident Cobra. Plenty of fuel, and dining available, on the water, along with ample lodging. Mid July, the Hammondsport show, small but nicely done, (25-30boats). They also host a seaplane fly in, every September, a lot of fun. Check out the Hammondsport home page, /calendar. We are not far from Clayton, Lake George, Lake Saranac, and the Adirondacks.
Dennis

1956 C~C Holiday
Good manners,
a gift you give yourself

MikeM

Post by MikeM » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:49 pm

I can second that. My folks live about a mile from the museum and visiting it never gets old. I've even taken to reading all the Glenn Curtiss books out there. Quite a guy. I also spent the entire month of July on the lake in our Chris Craft and can attest to the bounty of the land and water. Plenty of great restaurants and world class wineries. Not to mention a great group of folks to boot.
1929 Hacker Craft Dolphin, 24'
1940 Century Utility, 17'
1947 Chris Craft Special, 16'
1947 Chris Craft Sportsman, 22'
1949 Chris Craft Racing Runabout, 19'
1952 Penn Yan Cartopper, 12'
1954 Chris~Craft Racing Runabout, 19' (For Sale)
1971 Century Arabian, 19'
1973 Dan Arena Custom, 21'

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:11 pm

Guys, thanks for the info. I've never been to that neck-of-the-woods and I'm looking forward to the visit. Perhaps I'll tow the boat along.