Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Hiawassee Ga.

Where do you like to visit? Who has the best show venue? How about the best funnel cakes? Ask your questions and get the answers from our worldwide network of experts.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

57 chris

Hiawassee Ga.

Post by 57 chris » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:44 am

Anybody planning on going to the Hiawassee Ga. show june 12-14?
1957 18' SeaSkiff #SK 18675 "Knot Sure!"
1958 18' SeaSkiff #SK18722 "Wreckreation"

Past projects: 1972 19' Lancer with 307 Volvo drive-Great Blue, 1968 23' Lancer Offshore with 283 Volvo drive-Narwahl
1988 FourWinns 245 Vista - Blue Ayes.

It's good to have wood!

Ken Miller

Lake Chatuge

Post by Ken Miller » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:16 pm

I was thinking of going this year. My wife isn't much on that kind of stuff, though. I doubt there will be much there of interest to her. Is this not a problem at other shows for guys?

P.S. Not knocking the event, just saying my wife will not really want to go.
1951 Chris Craft U-22-1705 "Miss Cynthia"

tuobanur

Other Sites to See

Post by tuobanur » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:28 pm

I'm thinking that we just might make that, my boat want be ready but I may bring my Jet Boat to sport around in.
Never been on that lake but I have crossed it before and it looked pretty nice, is this a big show?

Ken from what I remember there are some pretty nice sites around that area that your wife might be into and the Dillard House Inn and Restaurant is not far away, it is known for some of the best home cooking you will ever eat.
Terry
1941 Model 101 (16') Deluxe Runabout "Miss Dot"

57 chris

Post by 57 chris » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:25 pm

The northern end of the lake is in N.C. and about 8 miles away the other end is Hiawassee, GA.
My father used to live on top of a hill in N.C. and the view from his front porch was right down the length of this lake. He now lives in Tenn. and is driving over to meet me and enjoy the show. He goes every year and says there is usually 25-30 boats.
Incidently, I have e-mailed the contact person for this show to get entry forms, info etc. but have not gotten a reply. Anybody out there know how to get more info?

Craig

Past projects: 1972 19' Lancer with 307 Volvo drive-Great Blue, 1968 23' Lancer Offshore with 283 Volvo drive-Narwahl

It's good to have wood!

Ken Miller

Lake Chatuge

Post by Ken Miller » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:01 pm

It's put on by the Blue Ridge Chapter of the ACBS, of which I am not a member.

Their site says:

JUNE 12-14, 2009: Lake Chatuge Antique & Classic Boat Rendezvous. Ridge Resort & Club in Hiawassee, Georgia, 706-896-2262.

http://www.theridgesresort.com

Contact Randy Cunningham at 828-456-5159 or [email protected]

I know Tom Riggle is a member of this forum and is the current president of that chapter, and is usually very active with his U-22 Slow Dancing. Maybe he'll chime in here?

[/img]

57 chris

Post by 57 chris » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the reply. Randy is the name I sent the e-mail to before, he was listed as the contact person. Maybe he's just been out of town.

It's good to have wood!

Ken Miller

Re: Other Sites to See

Post by Ken Miller » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:00 pm

tuobanur wrote:.....from what I remember there are some pretty nice sites around that area that your wife might be into and the Dillard House Inn and Restaurant is not far away, it is known for some of the best home cooking you will ever eat.
We've been to Brass Town Valley Resort several times and spent a couple of days for Thanksgiving there on several occasions. There are some nice destinations, just no Saks, Neiman-Marcus, or Bloomindale's. :(

Wilson Wright

Lake Chatuge

Post by Wilson Wright » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:19 am

No Nordstroms either but it is a fun show with hotel right there overlooking the lake and the cardboard box event is fun.

Randy Cunningham is an architect and is usually pretty prompt ar responding. His wife Linda is usually involved too...Might want to try her.

If you go you'll want to go back.
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club

djeller

Lake Chatuge

Post by djeller » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:20 pm

Last year's show was small compared to other years. Not as many boats as they would have liked. It's only a hop and skip over to Lake Rabun and Burton, home to some of the finest Chris Crafts around. Ben McCracken at Lake Rabun Marine is an old wood boat expert and fun to talk to. Also the Lake Rabun Hotel is a nostalgic place to stay and dine if you like. Their website is lakerabunhotel.com. On Rabun there's a 1930 Triple Cockpit Chris Craft that has been on the lake since delivery day in 1930. This boat was pictured in the last issue of Classic Boating towing tubers. The boat, if i'm not mistaken, was purchased by Georgia Power Co. for use on the lake. It was kept in a boayhouse that was part of the dam until later years. Rabun is a must see when you get in that area. It's North Georgia's version of upstate New York. No property available under 1.5 million. That's for a power company leased lot. That's why I live on a lake in Alabama.
Also for the women shoppers, North Georgia Premium Outlets is just down the road at Dawsonville, Ga.
Plan a trip to North Georgia, you'll be glad you did.

djeller

Lake Chatuge

Post by djeller » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Last year's show was small compared to other years. Not as many boats as they would have liked. It's only a hop and skip over to Lake Rabun and Burton, home to some of the finest Chris Crafts around. Ben McCracken at Lake Rabun Marine is an old wood boat expert and fun to talk to. Also the Lake Rabun Hotel is a nostalgic place to stay and dine if you like. Their website is lakerabunhotel.com. On Rabun there's a 1930 Triple Cockpit Chris Craft that has been on the lake since delivery day in 1930. This boat was pictured in the last issue of Classic Boating towing tubers. The boat, if i'm not mistaken, was purchased by Georgia Power Co. for use on the lake. It was kept in a boathouse that was part of the dam until later years. Rabun is a must see when you get in that area. It's North Georgia's version of upstate New York. No property available under 1.5 million. That's for a power company leased lot. That's why I live on a lake in Alabama.
Also for the women shoppers, North Georgia Premium Outlets is just down the road at Dawsonville, Ga.
Plan a trip to North Georgia, you'll be glad you did.

Wilson Wright

Hiawassee/Lake Chatuge/Lake Rabun

Post by Wilson Wright » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:33 pm

What you say about Lake Rabun is true...Property values have escalated since my first Chris had her maden voige there for the 4th of July show in 1985.

Hall's boat house is a must and if you stay at the Lake Rabun Inn get the bridal suite, it is the only one with a private bathroom.

Boats there are great and the folks nice when they get to know you...Just don't tell them you are a Gator....It is Bull Dog country.
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club

Pete DeVito

Post by Pete DeVito » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:33 pm

This is a nice little show and has a good quality of boats. I have a mountain place outside of Cleveland Georgia and try to attend and hop a ride with someone. I have not dragged my boat from Florida up yet but always feel tempted. If anyone goes up for the show I agree don't miss Lake Burton, I guarantee you will buy a piece of North Georgia property.
Pete

djeller

Lake Chatuge

Post by djeller » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:40 pm

Mr. Wright,
You would be pleased or maybe not, the Lake Rabun Hotel has undergone a major renovation under new ownership. All the bedrooms were remodeled and all now include a private bath. How's that for keeping up. My grandfather built the original structure there so it's always been special to me. Hated to see it change though.

motherofdog

Yup! We're going

Post by motherofdog » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:20 am

Boy this falls in the better late than never category. My husband and I will be going. We live just an hour south of Chatuge in Ellijay, GA.

The Sunday brunch at Brasstown Valley is FANTASTIC. We never miss the Thanksgiving brunch.

Ken, maybe your wife would like the premium outlet mall in Dawsonville, GA. It would be a bit of a drive for her - but it might satisfy her shopping jones.

I hope to see loads of folks there.

Jerri

motherofdog

2009 Lake Chatuge Rendezvous

Post by motherofdog » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:22 pm

Just got back from the Chatuge Rendezvous and it was great. Tom Riggle said it was the largest gathering for that location in the 22 years that they've had it. I believe he said there were 35 boats. The weather was perfect and we met some wonderful new friends.

I absolutely can NOT wait until the next gathering!

Jerri