Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Lancer 19

Are you in need of information regarding "the way it was?" Or are you are a walking "who's-who" of Chris-Craft fiberglass boats? Share what you don't know—or do know here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Peter XK19

Lancer 19

Post by Peter XK19 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:22 pm

Hey,
Check out these pics made by Bo Zolland of www.viztech.se

Wood Commander

Post by Wood Commander » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:27 pm

That's an awesome model! Even the Volvo 280 drive looks spot- on. I wonder if it is made out of wood or plastic, or even metal?

The only small glitches I see are-

1. The white foredeck stripes don't stop at the windshield base, but go all of the way down the interior dash board area. On real boats the stripes were not actually painted on, they were molded in under clear gel coat, and only on the foredeck and the aft "flag deck".

2. The one picture shows a bow rail. I've never seen a 19' Lancer with a factory bow rail. On 23'ers, yes, there were bow rails from the fctory.

3. The interior ceiling board paneling, the area around the bottom of the cockpit perimeter, and under the "waterfall" side deck rolldown/interior fiberglass panelling, was not wood grain. It matched the color and material of the deck flooring, which was the cover of the accent stripes, usually.

4. I've never seen woodgrain panels or doors in either the dash panel or the passenger "glove box" area on a 19'er. On the 23'er, yes, but not the 19'er. The glove box on 19'ers of this time period did not have covers over the glove box but were open.

Still, a fantastic model!

Obviously I don't know everything, but I have owned a pretty nice, very original 1968 19' Lancer that I bought from the original owner's son (one of those "I never should have sold it" deals). He was present when the boat was picked up at the dealership in 1968.
And I now own a 1970 23' Lancer Offshore, one of the few 23'ers that also has the "waterfall" interior cockpit side treatment, which I find really desireable.
And, along with my wood cruiser research, I research and collect any Lancer information and pictures that I can get my hands on.

I've got tons of brick and mortar materials for both types of Chris Crafts, including drawing collections for both genres.

And I've got tons of photos gleaned from the internet on these boats and ALL sorts of other stuff as well.
If my computer ever crashes, I will die a thousand deaths!
I really need to find some way of backup. I started one time to put some of my photos on flash drives. But I soon figured out it would probably break me financially!

Bret

1953 35' Commander "Adonis III"

1970 23' lancer project

Wood Commander

Post by Wood Commander » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:10 pm

Oh, and another thing, how do they get the model to levitate in clear, open space like that? Lol!
Bret

1970 23' lancer project

Peter XK19

Not a model

Post by Peter XK19 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:10 pm

Hey Bret,

The Lancer pics are not from a model ,they are "only" computer generated pics! I think Bo Zolland used his own boat for measurments and details. Pretty good job huh?

quitchabitchin

Post by quitchabitchin » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:16 pm

That's pretty cool. I would love to have photos like that done. Very unique.
FLASH1969 Chris Craft Cavalier Ski-230 HP 327Q

CCABC Board of Directors Member

Thomas_CCL23

Post by Thomas_CCL23 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:05 am

Think the CAD created model is fantastic looking! Great work Bo!
Re the glitches: Its dangerous to be generic here quite a few things changed during the production of the 19' Lancer. Anyway some thoughts on how things were:

1. Agree! Only to windshield base.

2. Probably true no 19 with pulpit. Know that Bo's own boat has this rail, might just be taken from a 23' and put there after delivery.

3. Interior panelling was in wood grain except probably on the 69's, looking at a broschure from 1970 it's there! Certainly was there on my 1975.

4. Glove box appears on the 1970 model, and both it and the dashboard is in woodgrain, only the 69 model differs in this respect having no glovebox lid and a black dashboard. The dashboard got larger in 77 but kept the wood grain.

BR Thomas

Wood Commander

Post by Wood Commander » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:40 pm

My 19' Lancer was a 1968 and did not have the glovebox door or wood grain anywhere. As mentioned in my earlier post, I was the second owner. The first owners were a Father and his Son who accompanied him to pick up the boat from the dealership when it was new.

I never should have sold that boat!

Here's another 19' Lancer without the glovebox door and wood grain, not sure about the year, but I'm guessing about 1969 or 1970.

These examples pretty well match the sales brochure "artwork picture" from these years, a picture from which is in my previous post. One thing though, the sales artwork doesn't even show an opening in the glovebox area.
Bret

1970 23' lancer project

Thomas_CCL23

Post by Thomas_CCL23 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:53 pm

They must have added the gloveboxlid for the 1970 model. I am pretty sure that the sport boats catalog I have showing an electric blue 19' Lancer is for the 1970 models. At the same time the woodgrain seem to appear and remain from then onwards. I cannot pinpoint the boat in the second picture much more acurately then you can except that its a 68 or 69 but not a 1970! The picture below is of a 1971 19' Lancer, note that it also recieves some new padding and some stainless grab rails! New steering wheel too.
I am missing my 1975 19' Lancer as well, really liked that boat, had it for 16 yrs. To my eyes the 19' is the nicest looking Lancer!

57 chris

Post by 57 chris » Wed May 06, 2009 7:24 pm

Hi Peter,
Your post brings back fond memories of my 1972 Lancer which other than the bowrail looks exactly like the pictures you posted. I sold it to a gentleman in Gothenberg Sweden who had aspirations of restoring it to showroom condition. I often wonder what ever happened to my old Lancer. Interestingly enough, I also had a 1968 23' offshore that I loved, it was awesome in rough water but I agree with Thomas,I just like the lines of the 19 better.

Craig
1957 18' SeaSkiff #SK 18675 "Knot Sure!"
1958 18' SeaSkiff #SK18722 "Wreckreation"

Past projects: 1972 19' Lancer with 307 Volvo drive-Great Blue, 1968 23' Lancer Offshore with 283 Volvo drive-Narwahl
1988 FourWinns 245 Vista - Blue Ayes.

It's good to have wood!