Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Hull #40-108 Joan Roy has your ice box door

Leather, Tolex or Russaloid. Linoleum or black rubber matting. If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

joanroy

Hull #40-108 Joan Roy has your ice box door

Post by joanroy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:02 pm

I decided to repaint my ice box door and made a couple of interesting discoveries.
My door had so much paint on it I thought it was made out of metal. The inside is metal, but after sanding it off I discovered a beautiful mahogany panel. I flipped it over, removed the door seal and sanded the inside edge. Much to my surprise and disappointment I discovered that it was not the original cover. My hull number is 36-099 and is stamped into many of the parts on my boat. So how did 40-108 ice box door end up on 36-099. After thinking about it for a while, I decided to get over the disappointment of not having an original ice box door and just be glad I had a door. After all this may be all that ramains of Hull 40-108. If 40-108 is still out there, let me know how I ended up with your ice box door.

Greg Wallace

Post by Greg Wallace » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:48 am

Beyond the possiblity that this was "salvaged" at some point as a replacement, there are a number of ways your boat was delivered with this ice box/or door. It is quite possible that your ice box was taken from the line where 40-108 was in production and installed in your boat originally for any number of reasons. They may have needed an ice box and stole it from 40-108 to meet shipping requirements or whatever. If, in fact, 40-108 was on the line in the same time period this is highly plausible and not unheard of.
Could have been taken from 40-108 as a warranty replacement. This was done frequently at the dealer level to satisfy a customer.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

evansjw44

Parts Swapping

Post by evansjw44 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:36 am

My '67 Sea Skiff Corinthian is hull number SBX-353019. Most of the trim parts that I pull off and refinish have that number. But, I have a couple of partsd off of SBX-353017.
Jim Evans

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:15 pm

Greg,

Thanks you for sharing your knowledge. It makes sense that CC may have swapped out parts now and then to keep up with production demands during the post war boom. Were you a dealer in the 40's by any chance? Jim,sounds like you have some mystery hull number parts as well.

Greg Wallace

Post by Greg Wallace » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:55 am

The seasons are short and the customer is king. Robbing parts to facilitate delivery or otherwise satisfy a customer was (and is) common practice at both the manufacturing and dealer level. Growing up in the business I was a witness and party to this practice. At the exreme level we swapped engines and on one crazy attempt to make a sale and delivery deadline we changed out an entire (cruiser) interior to satisfy the "wife's" color choice. Our family represented Chris Craft from approximately 1930 thru the mid 70's.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.