Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Sea Skiff back curtain for folding top

Leather, Tolex or Russaloid. Linoleum or black rubber matting. If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

DLKster

Post by DLKster » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:36 pm

Can anyone tell me the dimensions for the rear curtain on a 22' Sea Skiff that goes from the aft side of the canopy top to ? . Where did it connect --on the bottom end to the floor? And how - with snaps? Did it also snap down the sides? Or did it go all the way to the aft covering boards?

Did it have a zipper in the middle or two zippers (dividing it in thirds) or none at all? What about windows, did it have them like in the side curtains? Did it have straps to hold it when you roll it up?

If any one has one for a pattern, or has seen one and could describe it, I would be much obliged.

It is listed as an accessory in the literature from the Mariners Museum (it was a $27.50 extra), but I have never seen a factory photo of one, only the top and side curtains.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Dave Konick
Washington, VA
1951 16' Riviera
1954 22' Sea Skiff

Dick Baner

Post by Dick Baner » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:44 am

Hello Dave, My boat is a 1959 22 ft Sea Skiff Ranger 2-sleeper but carries a 58 windshield so not sure if it will be a match for yours however I will attempt to answer your questions based on mine. I have a set of blueprints from the museum which shows the rear curtain running from the rear of the folding top and sloping downward over the top edge of the rear seat top board and then attaching to the outside of the trim board behind the seat at the rear deck. I had an original rear cover to use as a pattern when I had my replacement top made but it was all rotten and was destroyed afterward. I am confident that snaps were used for attachment.

If I recall correctly there was also a small fixed plastic window in the center of the top that was of little use due to the severe slope. It was a single piece top and had no zippers. As best I can recall now it was not set up to remain attached to the top when not in use but was simply removed. I will attempt to attach a copy of that portion of the drawing which matches the old top I had.

I am also going to attach a photos of my replacement tops which are not intended to duplicate the originals. My side curtains are all clear plastic unlike the originals. I wanted to be able to use the rear seat even when the rear top was in place and also have a more useable rear window. I have added a bow near the stern that lays on the rear deck when not in use and which lifts the rear of the cover to provide headroom.

There is a rear window which is a little more than 1/3 of the rear area behind the bow. Snaps are used all around on all parts of the top with zippers at each bow and at the connection between the top and rear curtain. There is heavy velcro between the top and rear curtain on each side. I also have large windows on each side of the rear curtain (which can be zipped out of the way for egress and dealing with locks in the rain) with interior privacy covers as I have lived on the boat on long river trips. Long reply but I hope it is helpful. dick baner

1967 33' Chris Craft SeaStrake
"Wave Toucher III,
1965 18' Carver Captain I/O "Wave Toucher II
1974 12' Alcort Minifish,
1973 15' Chrysler Mutineer "Wind Toucher"

DLKster

Post by DLKster » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:15 am

Thanks, Dick, but the Ranger may be different. The older version Sea Skiff canopy top has no sides (other than the snap on side curtains) whereas the canopy top in the drawing you attached appears to have sides coming down to the gunwales at the back.

Also, my canopy top does not have snaps all along the back edge of the top, but only two on each side at the corners and maybe 4 - 6" in from the sides. So I don't even see how they attached the rear curtain, unless they used a different canopy top with snaps all along the rear edge when the rear curtain was ordered.

Let's see if another Sea Skiff owner, Joe Martell or one of the resident "young researchers" can add something to the discussion.
Dave Konick
Washington, VA
1951 16' Riviera
1954 22' Sea Skiff

Vrooap

Post by Vrooap » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:36 pm

Dave, Maybe it is helpfull to find out what Lyman did with these. I remember I have seen one here in Holland that looked very authentic. And familiar. And then see if you can find a local cover-man that can make you a fitting one.
Nice YouTube films! thanks, Hans

SteveNL

Re: Sea Skiff 22ft - 1957 canvas cover

Post by SteveNL » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:32 am

Hi,

I m owner of a 1957 22ft Sea Skiff and I m looking for a pattern to manufacture a full covering canvas cover likè attached picture which i found on Google. Does anybody knows where i can find it or does somebody have it perhaps?

regards,

Steve
Attachments
00Y0Y_4MaIH8sXV2v_600x450.jpg