Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Mahogany species

Leather, Tolex or Russaloid. Linoleum or black rubber matting. If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

SAMBA

Mahogany species

Post by SAMBA » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:35 am

Replacing the mahogany plywood panels that form the inner walls of the cabin on my 1953 Sedan Cabin Cruiser. I can get 7mm Philippine panels, marine grade, 2 good sides, quite easily from a local source. The panels look great at the shop. The only African Mahogany easily available has an MDS core which apparently will break down over time when exposed to humidity, obviously a very poor choice for a boat in the water all summer.. Will stain with Chris Craft stain and then varnish. Hard for me to tell--was the original wood African or Philippine Mahogany? Does it make a huge difference which species I choose? (Either way will be a dramatic improvement over the warped, wavy, stained pieces I removed). If the original was African species is it worth the extra time, expense, travel, and effort to track down a source of African? Thanks, Dan (Samba)

Captain Nemo

Re: Mahogany species

Post by Captain Nemo » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:45 am

I think once it’s stained and finished, it should look fine. I have even used luan underlayment for some pieces in the cockpit in my cruiser. It has held up well for years, as it has exterior glue and I finished all sides to seal it completely.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

drrot

Post by drrot » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:53 am

I'd go with "Marine grade" Only want to do it once :D
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:16 pm

Of course I would go with marine grade. I wasn’t about to spring for a full sheet to replace two 10”x12” panels on my small job.
The luan did stain up really well though. :D
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.