Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Interior cabin walls

Leather, Tolex or Russaloid. Linoleum or black rubber matting. If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

SAMBA

Interior cabin walls

Post by SAMBA » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:32 pm

The interior cabin walls (below the windows, of course) of my 1953 33' Sedan Cabin Cruiser appear to be perhaps 1/4" mahogany veneer plywood. The stain and varnish are in rough shape, as I feel that humidity is lifting the varnish in the cold seasons when it's challenging to keep the boat ventilated. (Boat is stored in the water, covered boat shed). Anyway, the plywood has developed a wavy texture making it impossible to sand and refinish. My question: how hard of a job is it to remove these panels and replace with new panels, cut to the exact same size of course, and then I could do that work in my heated garage and install the new panels after stain and varnish done in the shop? The panels just have a small trim piece along the cabin floor, but the upper trim piece is a wider piece of mahogany trim that runs below the windows. Is this a huge bugger to remove? Hard fight to get panels off? Panels are close to 4x8' each.
Second, what is best for interior trim and large flat surfaces: gloss or matte finish? Owner before me apparently had done some of each, so a mix right now.
Thanks so much!
Dan (and Samba)

joanroy

Re: Interior cabin walls

Post by joanroy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:05 pm

Remove the trim so you can see how the panels are fastened. Matte finish is the standard on cruiser interiors, but if you like gloss that’s fine too. Good Luck!

SAMBA

Re: Interior cabin walls

Post by SAMBA » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:28 pm

Thank you; will get started after the New Year.