Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Interior decking /Hull paint HELP

Repair, or reconstruction. Gelocat or structural fiberglass. If it's hull related, you'll find it here

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Driftwood67

Interior decking /Hull paint HELP

Post by Driftwood67 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:29 pm

Hi- I recently purchased a 1973 23' Lancer. I washed the deck but it still has stains and rust spots, anyone know what to use on this to get rid of them? Also, the hull is in good shape except for a few minor scratches. Do I need to lightly sand these and then buff the whole bottom? What are the best compounds, etc to use? Thanks so much for any info!!!!

suesailor

Whink Rust Stain Remover

Post by suesailor » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:19 am

We use Whink. It works great on rust stains on fiberglass, paint, cloth, etc. It is powerful. I have bought it at Ace Hardware and other places that carry cleaning supplies. It comes in a small, plastic brown bottle, not very expensive.
Your boat looks almost as bad as ours did when we got it last year. Where are you located?
We are in the process of rebuilding the HEAVY floor hatches out of Plascore. Also replacing the back bulkhead and backseat using the same Plascore honeycomb material.

susie
"Cheers"
1974 23' Lancer
Mercruiser 350 MPI Straight Inboard (1998)
Sausalito, CA

Paul P
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, Cumberland River and Lake system

Post by Paul P » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:20 am

I also have to do a floor hatch, my 1973 inboard came without a motor, transmission, motor box or floor hatches.

Here is a photo of the Lancer the day it arrived, that is our 1966 fiberglass Sea Skiff (green) also sitting there in the driveway at the cottage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/ ... dSkiff.jpg
The Lancer is now being disassembled in total, repairing various issues, etc. I have some structural damage (places where some of the top deck was apparently hit hard and there is a crack) that I have to ream out, fill with epoxy, and add support underneath in the form of a butt block of fiberglass matt to assure the crack will not reappear some day. Therefore my entire topsides will have to be painted and I am going to use Bill Basler's recommendation to go with Interlux PERFECTION - II. I think the hull gelcoat is the same as the Commander series, which the Ford auto color "Wimbledon White" was a very close match, maybe that would help with some minor touch up?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/ ... C00799.jpg

Best,

Paul
1956 17' CC Sportsman, 300-hp
1957 17' CC Sportsman, 95-hp
1966 20' CC fiberglass Sea Skiff, 210-hp+
1973 23' CC Lancer inboard project, 427/375-hp.
1966 38' CC Commander Express, 427/300-hp(2)

So many boats.........so little time.....but what a way to go!!

suesailor

Lancer Seats

Post by suesailor » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:11 am

It looks like your seats might be savable. Ours were beige and orange, and I found a spray paint made by Sem that is specifically for painting leather and vinyl. We sprayed our seats with this paint using an off-white color following their directions exactly and you can't tell they have been painted. West Marine carries this paint or some automotive supply stores that specialize in restoration work may have it.
Sue
"Cheers"
1974 23' Lancer
Mercruiser 350 MPI Straight Inboard (1998)
Sausalito, CA