Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Boat Pictures - Before & After

Repair, or reconstruction. Gelocat or structural fiberglass. If it's hull related, you'll find it here

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

bigdaddylove

Post by bigdaddylove » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:19 am

pretty freakin' awesome!

Congrats!

RichardSGambino

Post by RichardSGambino » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:12 am

Great job, you should be proud.
1950 17' Sportsman B engine

Sugar Shack

Post by Sugar Shack » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:09 am

She looks great, hope you have been getting good time on the water with her.

Paul P
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, Cumberland River and Lake system

Post by Paul P » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:35 pm

What kind of paint did you use, Interlux or Awlgrip, or other? And also what kind of primer did you use. Was it sprayed or rolled and tipped?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Very nice job by the way!

Paul
1956 17' CC Sportsman, 300-hp
1957 17' CC Sportsman, 95-hp
1966 20' CC fiberglass Sea Skiff, 210-hp+
1973 23' CC Lancer inboard project, 427/375-hp.
1966 38' CC Commander Express, 427/300-hp(2)

So many boats.........so little time.....but what a way to go!!

Kenwho

Post by Kenwho » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:46 pm

Paul P wrote:What kind of paint did you use, Interlux or Awlgrip, or other? And also what kind of primer did you use. Was it sprayed or rolled and tipped?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Very nice job by the way!

Paul
Sorry for the long wait on response. This was done using the roll and tip method. I painted using the Interlux primer, and Interlux brightside one-part paint.

This is the first time I've ever painted, or worked on a boat, but I followed these basic steps.

1) remove stickers, rubrail. Tape off anything you do not want to get painted.

2) sand using 200 grit. I used a little Black & decker, and then broke down and bought a 10" air sander.

3) Clean the area very well using solvent wash.

4) Get a foam ROLLER, and a GOOD paint brush. I painted one side with a 15 dollar home depot paint brush, and the other side I *started* with a cheapo paint brush. I swear I got about 2 swipes and then I noticed.......it was leaving bristles in the paint. ARRGHH. So yes, the more expensive brushes make a difference. I used a 6" foam roller.. Not sure it matters what type of roller you use as long as the foam holds the paint well.

5) (OPTIONAL)... Mix your interlux paint with thinner. One side of my boat was done with paint thinner, the other with straight paint. The paint lasted a little longer. I used 1 cup of paint to 1 cap of thinner.

6)Once you're setup with paint start rolling up and down. Roll out any drips or lines the foam roller makes. Then use the paint brush and make diagonal strokes working to the edge of where you just rolled the paint on.

ALWAYS KEEP THE PAINT WET AT THE EDGE YOU'RE WORKING ON. If it drys - it's noticeable. I had one part where I let it dry because I had to run get paint real quick... we're talking less than a minute and I can see a line down my boat if I look real close. (from more than a few feet away you dont see it.. but if you're a perfectionist you'll know it's there.)

Give it a couple hours to dry, and reapply a second coat if you want. (Mine has only one coat)...

(OPTIONAL ALSO)... If you like it to have a super shine you can sand it with 2000 grit sand paper. I did NOT wet sand my boat afterward.

Just to give you an idea of how much paint you will use. I bought ONE x ONE GALLON CAN, and I have about 1/3 of it left over from my 30' boat.

The paint has lasted pretty well. It's been a while now, and it hasn't faded too badly. It's pretty durable too. I've rubbed the docks and the scuffs come out pretty easily without taking any paint off.

If I had to do it over...... I would have taken my rub rail off instead of taping it. I would have gone with a different color than while.

I'm sure I did a lot of stuff wrong.. and I probably have done some stuff that would make the seasoned boat painter cringe, but like I told myself.. it's not going to enter into a beauty contest, but I want it to look GOOD.