Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

1966 18' Sea Skiff

Repair, or reconstruction. Gelocat or structural fiberglass. If it's hull related, you'll find it here

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Herman

1966 18' Sea Skiff

Post by Herman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:11 pm

My Sea Skiff is Dark Green but after 42 years I am sure it is not the original color. The Hull is 80% good from the white line up. Below the white line someone painted it brown which is mostly gone.The very bottom looks rough and will need some repair. I have looked at paint, Gelcoat products and Epoxy but not sure which way to go. Any suggestions? I am good with my hands but have never worked on fibergalss to any degree. Want to make the boat my work so don't want to send it out. I wold be thank-ful for any help you might give. Just getting started!

respectfully
Herman Vess
Herman Vess

Paul P
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, Cumberland River and Lake system

Post by Paul P » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:18 am

I like the PC-7 industrial epoxy paste. This is a heavy bodied paste that will not run. You can form it into a damage point where the hull may have hit a rock, and it will stay put. Then you can take a wet rag when it is almost set firm and you can slick up the surface once you get the hang of it, and it saves a lot of sanding. Once set up, you can sand it and fair it out just like you would with an auto body repair.

Since this is under water, naturally any automotive product is to be avoided. My experience with the PC-7 is all good. It is messy, sticks to everything, and I wear a double layer of disposable gloves so when I get my hands all gummed up, I can pull off one layer and still continue working.

Once repairs are done, you'll need to go with a bottom paint. I have considered painting our Skiff with the traditional Chris Craft copper bronze, used on many boats in the Chris Craft family, although that color does not appear in the original manufacturer brochures that I remember. I'll look to see what I may have on that, and will post it for you if I find any more color info.

Good luck on the project. Your glass Skiff is so rare I have never seen one in person, and I have seen a LOT of boats at shows around the country during the last 30 years or so. It's a truthful design, lots of utility, has the "Skiff look" and they are well built. Since I have been all through mine with a total restoration, I can give you some tips if you run into some of the similar issues I have seen. I did one area of structural epoxy and fiberglass frame reinforcement, and it is probably stronger today than it was when it left the factory.

Regards,

Paul
1956 17' CC Sportsman, 300-hp
1957 17' CC Sportsman, 95-hp
1966 20' CC fiberglass Sea Skiff, 210-hp+
1973 23' CC Lancer inboard project, 427/375-hp.
1966 38' CC Commander Express, 427/300-hp(2)

So many boats.........so little time.....but what a way to go!!