Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Engine covers for 1970 XK 19

Repair, or reconstruction. Gelocat or structural fiberglass. If it's hull related, you'll find it here

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

smair

Engine covers for 1970 XK 19

Post by smair » Sat May 26, 2007 9:36 am

I have a 1970 XK 19 tha my dad bought new. I have restored it for the most part but need the 2 engine cover parts. Any suggestions on where to locate a supplier or used parts vendor. Byron Hundley of Lake Dallas does not have them.[/b]

Peter XK19

engine cover

Post by Peter XK19 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:09 pm

Hey Smair, any pics of your boat?
About the XK-19s, remember these boats were only made in a total of 276. The odds of finding engine-covers to your boat are not in your favor I can easily say.How do I know? I look for everything to these boats and have done so for the past seven years. BUT as it turns out I have a spare couple sitting in my garage. On the down side is:my garage is just like myself located in Stockholm,Sweden. The engine covers are extremely heavy and also the ones I have are in pretty bad shape. Wouldnt recommend anyone
to buy them, specially not to have them sent all across the world. The way I see it the XK-19 looks alot cooler with the one-piece engine hatch. I can make a new one of those if you would, but then again shipping would be very expensive plus the fact that anything for sale in my country is very expensive for a US dollar buyer. Anyway good luck with your project. Man do I wish my pop bought a brand new XK-19 when I was a kid.

/Peter

smair

XK19 Egine covers

Post by smair » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:42 pm

Hey Peter,
I saw your website with the awesome photos of your metallic gold boat and the new project boat. I have located a man in Tulsa, Ok. thru this site that has told me he will make a mould out of a one piece cover he just happens to be redoing for a 1971 XK. How lucky is that? My concern is whether the one piece will fit one a 1970 XK that had a two piece. Was yours a two piece? Great to here from you and I will be posting photos soon.

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Peter, I was wondering if you were still out there. One of our members over in Australia just purchased a Cal Connell Cadillac engine for his Continental. We worked through the logistics with him, and I believe it has been shipped from Oklahoma to Australia. We'll have to get an update from him and ask what the experience was like. If it can be done for 1,000 pound engines, it can be done for hatches.

How are your projects going? Pictures?
Bill Basler

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:22 pm

Smair;

Are you talking about Dan Diehl in Tulsa. He is in the fiberglass business and does good work. We have more than a dozen XK boats in our local area.

Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

smair

Post by smair » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:10 am

Hey Don,

Yes I am. He and I have spoken and I am waiting to hear back from him about whether or not the one piece will fit one my 1970 XK19. My wife and I are planning on taking long weekend trips to different areas so if your group has an organized event planned, let me know so that we can come up there and join y'all

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:57 am

The bigger show is in September and it at Grand Lake in NE OK. Several other events throughout the year. Where are you located?
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

smair

Post by smair » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:45 pm

I live in Keller, TX. which is north of Ft Worth about 15 miles

Peter XK19

Post by Peter XK19 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:35 pm

Bill, yeah Im still out here. Thanks for asking. Got my 1971 red XK-19 still at the body shop. Its getting a brand new deck made of vinylester.The hull has been sandblastered and regelcoated. I have pics coming soon and at the moment I am in the process of buying a new engine and out drive.Got my self involved in (almost)too many projects.
About shipping: its alot cheaper shipping from US than to the US.

/Peter