Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

More new Commander stuff

Repair, or reconstruction. Gelocat or structural fiberglass. If it's hull related, you'll find it here

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

island time

More new Commander stuff

Post by island time » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:01 pm

Hi all,
Well the temperature has moderated a bit so on days that are tolerable I go out and work on the boat inside my winter cover.
More info on the engine-it's still at the engine shop but at my request they are going to be doing a bit more than the initial plan. Initial plan...? Hell that went out the window a long time ago anyway!
As you know it runs and runs well but it's no performance engine. The stock HP and torque weren't all that bad for what is was but the whole package was a bit anemic all around including a very low compression ratio (7.5:1) so for not a lot more comparatively we have decided to do a couple more upgrades.
I've decided to add a set of Dart aluminum heads along with the other mods which will get me the lower RPM HP and torque that I was craving.
So when I get it back it will be a very nice mild performance engine and if I use my head I won't destroy the V-drive.
On to other things, last week I procured the 3" copper pipe for my exhaust. I am in the process of polishing it and once done I am going to try EverBright to hopefully keep all the polished stuff shiny.
No change on the upholstery yet.
I did find a very good reputable company right here in Rochester that does anodizing. Nothing new on Chrome plating.
On to newest stuff,
Today I did the last messy job.
Under the fore-deck I needed to cut out all the rotted wood backing blocks and generally reinforce the whole deck so I removed all plywood and fiberglass tabbing, ground everything smooth and now I am ready to rebuild. Sure would have been easier to do it with the deck off and turned upside down but that was not a possibility so I did it the hard way-laying on my back with a 4" grinder and 24 grit flap wheel with all the dust falling in my face.
What a mess! way worse than all the other work done in the bilge. I will like it when done though.
So that's all the news that's fit to print. Unfortunately none of this really shows in photos but i will definitely post some soon.
I will keep you informed with ongoing progress.

Craig
Craig Wilson
Churchville, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

1968 23' Chris Craft lancer
1971 31' Revelcraft
1988 25' Fourwinns
1972 19' Chris Craft Lancer
1957 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1958 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1968 23' Chris Craft Commander

island time

Re: More new Commander stuff

Post by island time » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:15 am

More progress, Started getting new support installed under the foredeck. first crossmember glued in place-see photo kneeling in companionway looking up under the deck. Once all support pieces are glued in place they will all get tabbed to underside of the deck and to each other.
Also got new floor on starboard side tabbed in. going to be warm next week so the port side will get done then.
Seats are headed out for upholstery today.
Starting the process of evaluating aluminum trim pieces. Have to determine whether they are salvageable (worth the effort of stripping and re-anodizing) or just order new, most are available.

That's all for now, going to the Syracuse boat show tomorrow :D
Craig Wilson
Churchville, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

1971 31' Revelcraft
1988 25' Fourwinns

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:07 pm

I am looking forward to your photos. I am across the lake in Toronto and anticipate doing some work on Elude next week if the warmer weather materializes. Here's hoping. Are you using epoxy glue in these temperatures?
1937 35' Double Stateroom Enclosed Cruiser

island time

Post by island time » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:42 am

Sorry I wasn't able to post the photo I have, Troy and I have been trying to diagnose the problem...I think it might be operator error on my part :roll: but as soon as possible I will get pix up and visible. I don't do any "glass" work unless it gets up around 50 degrees f just to be safe and for the things I am doing now I prefer polyester resin rather than epoxy.

Craig
Craig Wilson
Churchville, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

1971 31' Revelcraft
1988 25' Fourwinns