Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Windshield Molding

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the hardware on your classic fiberglass Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

quitchabitchin

Windshield Molding

Post by quitchabitchin » Sun May 15, 2016 12:28 pm

The very last piece of the puzzle to.complete my boat is the rubber windshield molding. It presses into the aluminum channel that the plexiglass windshield locks into. It goes on the outside and holds the plexiglass in tight, it doesn't look bad without it and most people won't notice, but it rattles like crazy at idle speeds.

I've checked all of the molding catalogs I can find but cannot find it anywhere. Everything I have found has been too big. It measures 3/8"x3/16" and is gray in color. The piece I have left has shrank I've the years and won't stretch around the corners anymore. My only other option is to silicone it in place, but that will be a bear to remove down the road. This is one item that I'm pretty sure Jim Staib doesn't have, maybe I'm wrong. I need about 20-25'.
Attachments
IMG_20160515_131745037.jpg
IMG_20160515_131736208.jpg
IMG_20160515_131616524.jpg

Doug P

Re: Windshield Molding

Post by Doug P » Sun May 15, 2016 4:58 pm

Andy, Try Steele Rubber

WoodenRookie

Post by WoodenRookie » Mon May 16, 2016 8:01 am

Auto windshield shops have catalogs as well as stock many types of windshield rubber mounting rubber. Find an old shop as older cars and trucks used various types to fill the voids. Thats where I found mine.
1959 18' Continental "Knot Yet"
2013 Cobalt 200WSS
1977 Lakescraft Pontoon

jim g

Post by jim g » Wed May 18, 2016 4:32 pm

If its the Taylor Made complete aluminum framed windshield. Call them. They might have some. They were making those windshields up to about 12 years ago when they ran out of the aluminum. They might still have the grey rubber left that they will sell you.

quitchabitchin

Post by quitchabitchin » Wed May 18, 2016 9:48 pm

Thanks Jim. This is probably the best lead I've gotten in several years of searching. I don't see a gray vinyl and they don't have dimensions on their site, but they have a couple moldings that may work. I really appreciate the lead.
FLASH1969 Chris Craft Cavalier Ski-230 HP 327Q

CCABC Board of Directors Member

bflaherty

Post by bflaherty » Sun May 22, 2016 2:34 am

I just had a new plexiglass windshield made this winter and I am also on the hunt for this rubber!! If you find a source please share! Otherwise Skip at Middy Plastics (in Renton Washington) who made my windshield has suggested the use of butyl rubber... He says he has used this replacement option several times in the past. Trick is to mask off 1/4" up the plexi, and at the edge of the aluminum frame, then pack the rubber in tight... Once it sets up he claims it will work just like, or better than, the original!

BTW: what did you use for a gasket between the window frame and the deck? I tried to use rubber door seals (household style D shape) but nothing seems to be the right width... I am using this temporarily cause my windshield will be coming back off shortly for frame repairs.
Brian Flaherty
1969 Chris-Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "TUPPERWARE"

"You'll never discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

WoodenRookie

Post by WoodenRookie » Mon May 23, 2016 9:03 am

Here is the route I went with one new Plexiglass side with thinner glass. I am assuming this is the area you want gasket material not the base two piece .
Attachments
Ipad 2 Photos 297.jpg
Ipad 2 Photos 296.jpg
1959 18' Continental "Knot Yet"
2013 Cobalt 200WSS
1977 Lakescraft Pontoon

quitchabitchin

Post by quitchabitchin » Tue May 31, 2016 6:39 am

I checked with Taylor Made and they do not make this rubber. I spoke with a very knowledgeable guy there that thinks this windshield was made by Speed Sport. I think I am going to use a silver silicone or butyl to seal the windshield in.

The channels shown above are different than this frame. This windshield has holes drilled into it that accept clips, then the frame snaps over the clips. The gasket helps to hold it in tight as well as seal it.

I didn't use a gasket under the windshield frame as there wasn't a gasket under mine to begin with, at least it wasn't there when I disassembled it, so I didn't use one.
FLASH1969 Chris Craft Cavalier Ski-230 HP 327Q

CCABC Board of Directors Member