Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Ski Pole Setup

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the hardware on your classic fiberglass Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

quitchabitchin

Ski Pole Setup

Post by quitchabitchin » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:11 pm

I am looking for a ski pole setup that will bolt onto a 327Q in a 1969 17' Ski Boat...I have seen the poles for sale a few times, but never the brackets to mount it. I just wander if anyone that bought parts at the Warner Auction might have gotten an engine with the ski pole brackets attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
FLASH1969 Chris Craft Cavalier Ski-230 HP 327Q

CCABC Board of Directors Member

decsdad

Post by decsdad » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:27 pm

it's been awhile but can i ask how you've solved this? my '70 does have the engine mount pole setup but basically eliminates the back seat being used. i got by last season by running the rope through the rear lifting eye but that isn't exactly designed for side force. i don't want to damage the fiberglass around it.
on Wilson's Red Rocket there is an added (assuming) tow eye which seems like the ideal setup for this boat when more than a couple of people aboard.
the concern is in knowing how to reinforce the tow eye inside the fiberglass?
'70 17' Corsair 327Q

quitchabitchin

Post by quitchabitchin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:00 pm

Still looking. I noticed the tow ring on Wilson's boat as well. It is the only one I have seen. A metal reinforcement plate behind the fiberglass to distribute the stress would work. The biggest problem would be pulling the tank to install this plate, I have pulled the tank and I'm pretty sure the factory set the tank in the hull before the deck was installed. It is a pain to get out.

Hundley said he could make me the bracket for somewhere around $350. I have seen the poles sell for $80-150 on ebay. I am still undecided on what to do. $500 bucks for a center mount ski pole seems a little steep to me, I guess it's all about what you want. Right now, I want it painted, engine running and back in the water. I can wait on the ski pole.

decsdad

Post by decsdad » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:56 am

i hear ya. among a clutter of CC stuff i nabbed with the ivalight was the chrome eye ring for the top of the ski pole. (it appears to be identical to mine). if and when you mount a bracket, don't go looking to much for this piece as it's yours, for next to nothing, if you want it. the chrome rod is not with it, just the ring.
'70 17' Corsair 327Q

bflaherty

Re: Ski Pole Setup

Post by bflaherty » Wed May 21, 2014 12:57 pm

If you are still on the hunt for the mounting bracket I may be able to help. I have an all original '69 ski boat with the bracket. I might be able to scan it and model it into 3D which would allow for full production drawings to be generated (most fab shops will greatly reduce their estimate if you can hand them a full set of drawings rather than just a picture).

Although, if you are not trying to go for "original" restoration but rather make it a usable ski boat, I would suggest looking into getting the ski pole mounted ahead of the engine (like contemporary ski boats) as that is a much smoother tow point and provides better handling with a skier on.
Brian Flaherty
1969 Chris-Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "TUPPERWARE"

"You'll never discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

quitchabitchin

Post by quitchabitchin » Wed May 21, 2014 7:28 pm

A good sketch with photos would be great. I would like to see where all of the bolts are and how they line up. I have several fab shops that could build it if I had the dimensions.

bflaherty

Post by bflaherty » Mon May 23, 2016 1:50 am

Well it's taken me 2 years but I finally got good measurements so I could model and draft the ski tow mount for the 327Q!!! I have the drawings submitted to local shop for inspection and quote! Once I get the ok that my drawings are complete enough for production I will be ready to offer drawing packages to those in need. To cover my work and expenses I will be asking $10 for the PDF package that can be sent to any metal shop, or I will be offering complete reproduction assmblies for cost plus shipping and my $10 fee... I am not looking to swindle anyone and I'm not doing this to make money.

The only part left is the base hole which is different for the "ski boat" vs the XK-19 or commander style v-drive boats. Also I have the bottom plate that mounts to the transmission which is again different depending on your motor/boat.
Attachments
image.jpg
Brian Flaherty

quitchabitchin

Post by quitchabitchin » Tue May 31, 2016 6:26 am

That is great Brian. Can you post a couple pictures of your set up so I can see how and where it mounts? Thanks.

bflaherty

Post by bflaherty » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:07 am

image.png
Here are a few pictures of the original bracket installation.
Attachments
image.png
image.png
Brian Flaherty

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:53 am

Hey Brian, any progress on the fabrication or drawings?
1952 CC 18' Sportsman
1969 CC 19' Commander Super Sport

bflaherty

Post by bflaherty » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Chad,

Truth be told my "fabrication shop" is my older brother who has been running his own welding contractor business... Well he got hooked up with a big company that has been sending him all around the world to do mechanical installations for automotive crash testing sleds... So he hasn't had a chance to build a prototype yet. He believes my drawings are sufficient for him to build from but won't know for sure until he actually tries to build one...

So if you (or anyone else) want to find your own fabricator I will gladly send the the PDF drawing package out to you (asking $10 to cover my costs).

Otherwise I am at the mercy of my brother's hectic schedule...

Ultimately I am going to have him build me a complete unit out of aluminum to shave a little weight out of our boat. We don't pull slalom skiers so we aren't demanding much from the bracket and I think aluminum would be sufficiently strong yet much lighter.
Brian Flaherty