Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Is my rudder bent?

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the hardware on your classic fiberglass Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

10blade

Is my rudder bent?

Post by 10blade » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:49 pm

My rudder veers slightly to port. It's straight until emerging from the hull then makes about a 7-8 shift to the left and is perfectly straight (albeit directly slightly left) throughout it's course outside the boat. I've removed it and given it a good looking-over. It's not damaged. It truly seems to be made that way. I did a google search. I found that this characteristic may be built into my boat to offset something called 'prop walk.' I didn't find any reference to that here...although I only looked briefly. Is there any truth to this 'prop walk' business? Is my rudder ever-so-slightly bent by design?

Thanks
Nate
1969 17' Ski Boat

10blade

Post by 10blade » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:50 pm

That should read "7-8 degree shift" sorry
1969 17' Ski Boat

10blade

Post by 10blade » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:03 pm

So I'm looking things over: the whole rudder assembly (including the fiberglass depression into which the external rudder support bracket sits) is shifted about three-quarters of an inch to port. So that's shifted AND the rudder's bent. This has to be part of the design. I have to leave things alone...
1969 17' Ski Boat

ed laning

Post by ed laning » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:03 am

Your boat a sterndrive? I've experienced propwalk, but I've only heard of it being associated with sterndrive boats that are deep vee hulls. But it may be some kind of offset was built in on yours. I tend to think this needs more investigation. Ed
1978 22' CC Dory outboard

10blade

Post by 10blade » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:58 pm

No, it's an inboard 327Q. The offset of the assembly is easily explained as a convenience feature during removal of the prop shaft. I should've figured that out immediately. The slight angle of the rudder itself...not so easy. You see, it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine that a previous owner smacked into something---I recently replaced the shaft log (bent) and had my propeller buffed to a ridiculous shine (also bent, and curled, and not-shiny.) So it all fits. What I need is a photo of the rear end of someone else's 1969 ski boat...
1969 17' Ski Boat

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:33 pm

Nate,

The rudder is offset to provide access for removing the shaft. You may have something, however, on which direction the rudder is offset. I hadn't thought about that until now but they might be offset on the other side for opposite rotation screws.

Wilson Wright has the 1970 model 17' Skiboat, just like yours except Chris-Craft called it a Corsair that year. Yours is a Cavalier, correct? Same boat though. He may be able to post a rear shot of his for you to compare.

Al