Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Looking for the Square Transom Seal for 1965 OMC outdrive

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

R_Maclay

Post by R_Maclay » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:54 pm

My 1965 Chris-Craft XL-175 Sunlounger has the OMC/Buick 150HP V6 Engine with the OMC outdrive and the transom seal is square outer edge and the inner edge surrounds the circular shape of the outdrive.

Hoping someone has a spare square transom seal that they could part out.

Want to keep this boat afloat.

Thanks, Mac
Suisun City, CA

rgmxk22

Post by rgmxk22 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:21 am

This probably won't help, but I looked in the lateset copy of the NAPA Marine Products Catalog and they show two of those transom seals. The closest one they list, is their part number 18-2767 transom seal for OMC 1967-1977 120 hp and up. Replaces part number 313080.

The picture they show is a basically square seal with rounded corners on the outside and the round inside hole to go around the drive.

Sorry if I'm wrong, but I am not that familar with the older OMC stuff. I know you said you need a seal for a 1965 OMC, but it might be worth a trip to a local NAPA parts store and check into it. Good Luck!
Ron

Episode VI

Outdrive boot

Post by Episode VI » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:16 pm

Hi. I was on the phone yesterday with Gene of www.bobsmarinesalvage.com (a.k.a. genesmarinesalvage.com- go figure)and he described the boot you are looking for. He (Gene) may be aware of the NAPA marine catalog however and is simply re-selling theirs. I'm looking for a boot for my 1964 Corsair which is circular. Gene tells me that the squared-off boot will fit my OMC out-drive but I'm looking for the original type. So if you find one in your travels please let me know!

R_Maclay

Post by R_Maclay » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:29 pm

Could you submit more pictures of your SunLounger.

I see you have 1 original engine intake on the right rear side, I have both fiberglass intakes on mine, damaged from the previous owners kids stepping on them.

I think that is an original touch instead of the Chrome aftermarket ones that break up the lines of the boat.

Your transom is undercut, do you have a platform above the engine. I thought from 1966 on that they had round transom seals. How big is your SunLounger, etc.

Thanks, Mac
1965 SunLounger
California Delta area