Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

xk 19 restoration

If it doesn't pertain to metal, fiberglass, wire or fabric—but it is about classic fiberglass Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

mike xk19

xk 19 restoration

Post by mike xk19 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:39 pm

Sorry about all the questions but I'm about to undergo a complete restoration of my xk 19. I've heard different opinions about whether you should paint or reapply gel coat. I plan to use the boat as often as possible. The current gel coat is in very good condtion with a couple minor spider cracks. I plan to change the color of the her so any advice would be appreciated.

Paul P
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, Cumberland River and Lake system

Re: xk 19 restoration

Post by Paul P » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:53 pm

I'd be hard pressed to change the color of a rare boat like this, especially if the gelcoat is in the good condition you say.

Macatawa recently restored one, and they painted theirs. The work was done to their usual high standard and the boat looks stunning in every way.

These are rapidly becoming quite the collector boat, with great looks and all the performance to back it up with that Jim Wynne deep V and patented lifting strake hull. When you eventually get to the point of resale, you'll have to say, "repainted a different color", and that will lower the value to most collectors that would otherwise be willing to pay top dollar for a good boat.

Many people would rather see original good gelcoat with a few cracks, than a repaint job! :-)

Just my two and a half cents for the day!

Regards,

Pau1 P1etcher
1956 17' CC Sportsman, 300-hp
1957 17' CC Sportsman, 95-hp
1966 20' CC fiberglass Sea Skiff, 210-hp+
1973 23' CC Lancer inboard project, 427/375-hp.
1966 38' CC Commander Express, 427/300-hp(2)

So many boats.........so little time.....but what a way to go!!

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:41 pm

I would tend to agree with Paul on this. If the original gel-coat can be preserved it should increase it's desirability and thus it's value in the future.

I have a 1956 fiberglass boat with double cockpits, a bridge between them and wood-like pattern fore & aft decks. There's stress hair-line cracks in some of it but it's all the original gel-coat. If you're guessing that it's a Glasspar Club Lido you would be correct.

There doesn't seem to be much interest in the Glasspar world for preserving these great looking fiberglass boats at the present but their time may come. If so, I may have one of very few with original factory finish left in existence. It's not like old wood that needs to be replaced to maintain its usefulness or refinished to maintain it's appearance. It's sturdy gel-coated fiberglass that's beginning to show it's age (like I am).

Al

dustoff135

1971 XK19

Post by dustoff135 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:14 pm

Hello all,

It finally happened, I found and bought a 1971 XK19. I've been on this site many times asking questions, and I'm sure that will continue. :lol:

Anyway, I hope that everyone will be willing to share info as I'm sure to have lots of questions.

Patrick

Peter XK19

Post by Peter XK19 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:23 am

Patrik you asked me for a pic of my 1970. Ok.
It was made in Italy on license by Chris-Craft(they did Lancers and other boats as well intended for the Eouropean market)These boats have their HIN# as far in the front as possible on the hull instead of on the transom.
This boat was in the worst imaginable condition when I bought it and I am very unsure of the origins of anything on or in it. It had been sitting in this french guys backyard uncovered for years. The deck was so bad I ended up making a brand new one and new engine hatch. I have had it at the fiberglass shop for almost a year where a mould was made from the deck of my 1974 gold boat. I am getting pretty happy with the results I must say :D
Pics from all the work are very low quality due to the fact that I let the shop guys take them. I will try to enhance them. I just need to stop hating myself for beeing convinced they knew how to operate their camera.
Last edited by Peter XK19 on Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

dustoff135

Post by dustoff135 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:47 pm

Thanks Peter,

Do the boats built under license in Europe get counted into the production of what we know in America as 276 total?

Kudos to you for taking on a project like that. It's good to know enthusiasts are willing to save old girls like her.

Her dash is so different from what I have, I'm afraid it will not help me in this case, but thanks so much for sharing the photo.

I was looking at your 74 yesterday on your site, you really did a fantastic job with her.

Patrick

Budgiecat2

XK-19 Restoration

Post by Budgiecat2 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:10 pm

Hello Patrick, I have recently completed a restoration of a 1974 XK-19. I am not a purist in every sense of the word, although my restoration is essentially original. My gel coat was not so good, and my transom wood was toast (had to be replaced)and there was damage to the left rear corner where the previous owner had run it into something. Anyway, after making the fiberglas repairs, I opted to paint the boat midnight blue - used the 2006 Chrysler color - and the hardest clear coat I could find. She is beautiful! Most everything else is original, except the engine now has electronic ignition and a new carburator. Also has to replace the engine, but went back with the same model 350 c.i. You will enjoy your XK-19 more than you think. Good Luck.

tgbcrazy

gelcoating the xk19

Post by tgbcrazy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:39 pm

I am gelcoating my xk19 as you read this message. If you would like to talk about the positive's and neg's please call me
Tim Burruss
404 556 5906