Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Update on painting the bottom

If it doesn't pertain to metal, fiberglass, wire or fabric—but it is about classic fiberglass Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

island time

Update on painting the bottom

Post by island time » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:56 pm

I'm waiting for a couple of last minute items for the engine project so I drifted back to the bottom paint. If you recall in my last post on this subject I had just painted the bottom with Epifanes 2-part polyurethane and though the product was good I did not get the results I was looking for. I called Epifanes tech line to get particulars on spraying this product, I talked to a very nice guy that probably has forgotten more about the coatings industry than I will ever know. I explained the results that I experienced and that my plan was to spray this time and was looking for recommendations on air pressure settings and thinning etc.
He started by asking how I applied the last coat and I replied that it was suggested that I roll and tip. The first thing he explained was that this product was developed for rolling and brushing but could be sprayed as opposed to a product that was designed to be sprayed but could be rolled or brushed.This difference begins in the chemical composition of the binder also known as the base hence the reason that there are different thinners depending whether it will be rolled or sprayed.
He repeated more than once that this product if used under the proper conditions performs much better if rolled or brushed and should produce a sprayed look.
The next thing he told me goes against what everyone has told me up until now...roll with a very smooth foam roller but do NOT tip it off! Just roll it out evenly in one direction, don't skimp put it on fairly heavy and just let it flow out on it's own. It will continue to flow out and flatten even after several days. The reason for using this method is that you don't end up with an extra heavy overlap which is what I experienced.
So after that conversation I headed out to do battle with the sander again.
I got one side "whited out" with 320 grit, ready to wipe down with thinner and recoat.
I only got one side done before it started raining again. big surprise!
I think I'm going to till up my whole yard and plant rice or maybe put in a cranberry bog!
Anyway, once I get the other side sanded and ready for paint I will post another update on that.

Craig Wilson
Craig Wilson
Churchville, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

1968 23' Chris Craft lancer
1971 31' Revelcraft
1988 25' Fourwinns
1972 19' Chris Craft Lancer
1957 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1958 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1968 23' Chris Craft Commander

Bilge Rat

Re: Update on painting the bottom

Post by Bilge Rat » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:20 am

Yeah nothing like having to do it all over again. I see you're in the Rochester NY area like me. A local former giant of a manufacturer in town had their workforce pretty much resolved to this saying:

"We do it nice cause we do it twice"

Happy boating
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"