Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Bought a Chris Craft ! but which type ? pls help..

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Kwadrant

Bought a Chris Craft ! but which type ? pls help..

Post by Kwadrant » Wed May 23, 2012 3:09 pm

Hello fellow Chris Craft navigators ! I am Robert 37 from The netherlands. My parents back in the days had a Cavalier Futura 26' on which i spent my mere childhood. Suffice to say there comes a time i`d be looking for a Chris Craft too.

It was a long search and initially i wanted a Cavalier but i couldn`t find one safe and sound enough for the right price here in Europe. Last month i found one in a newspaper ad. I straight went to the place the boat was located. The owner said the boat was 10meters which is probably 30-33ft. Please find below picture;

Can anyone tell what type/year this would be? Hull appears to have a solid epoxy or fiberglass coating.
Next wednesday im collecting the boat.

What they did to CC famous 45 degree styling? They created some kind of weird straight angled window on the side and closed it of :evil: I will be making this to original. Anyone have some kind of drawings that match dimensions of the original 45 degree side windows?

Thanks in Advance!
Don`t feed angry Wolves

Kwadrant

Post by Kwadrant » Wed May 23, 2012 3:34 pm

OK been digging in this wonderfull site and concluded either Crusader 30' or Constellation 30' ?
Don`t feed angry Wolves

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Wed May 23, 2012 4:45 pm

A few changes have been made to this boat, but you could be right about the model... What is the hull construction..plank or plywood?

In addition, the hull number is usually stamped into the engine hatch opening. That would confirm the identity.

Kwadrant

Post by Kwadrant » Wed May 23, 2012 6:03 pm

Peter M Jardine wrote:A few changes have been made to this boat, but you could be right about the model... What is the hull construction..plank or plywood?

In addition, the hull number is usually stamped into the engine hatch opening. That would confirm the identity.
Thank you for replying, i will check the registration on wednesday when the boat hits the water after many years.

This is how i found her,....

Don`t feed angry Wolves

Kwadrant

Post by Kwadrant » Wed May 23, 2012 6:06 pm

Construction is plywood with an epoxy coat and 2 component paint system. Should i worry about this? I checked the wood inside and under the floor it all seems very dry and solid. No rot of decay. Looks like they did this to conserve.
Don`t feed angry Wolves

Kwadrant

Post by Kwadrant » Thu May 31, 2012 1:05 pm

Yesterday i actually purchased this boat. I took her for a ride and was sold. Could not find the hull nr on hatches and will have look on the stringers next weekend when ill drive her to her new homeport. But im almost sure its a Constellation.

Doesnt she look happy to be in the water again after 2 years in a barn? She Will be getting lots of love! And look even beter next year!

1st priority is a new vernis coat on the stem and a name ceremony. Then ill be focussing on the side top windows. They need be 45degrees cc windows. Anyone have an advise for me ? Either have 45degree starting from side panel end or start 45degrees from top windscreen down to Side panel, ive seen both..
Don`t feed angry Wolves

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Thu May 31, 2012 1:13 pm

If it is a plywood hull it would not be a Connie. It would be a Cavalier. Look on the back edge of the companionway hatch cover for an alternate hull number location. Best of luck with her.:wink:

Kwadrant

Post by Kwadrant » Thu May 31, 2012 1:26 pm

Jim Bell wrote:If it is a plywood hull it would not be a Connie. It would be a Cavalier. Look on the back edge of the companionway hatch cover for an alternate hull number location. Best of luck with her.:wink:
You kiddin me? Now THAT would really make my day! Here is some more pictures i shot yesterday, seemed they didn`t load in last post.

here i am idling the engines after 2 years sleep bringing her back to life :D

Really a Cavalier? definately no carvels
Don`t feed angry Wolves

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Thu May 31, 2012 2:14 pm

Yes, my guess would be 1964-68 33' Chris Craft Cavalier. If I am not mistaken the hull ID will start with 3 letters followed by two numbers 33 if a 33', followed by didgets indicating the hull number off the line ie; 00024 would be number 24 built of that model. When you find the hull ID contact the Mariners Museum and order the original hull card. I have one for every CC I have owned, which is 7 and counting. :roll:

Kwadrant

Post by Kwadrant » Thu May 31, 2012 3:28 pm

Jim Bell wrote:Yes, my guess would be 1964-68 33' Chris Craft Cavalier. If I am not mistaken the hull ID will start with 3 letters followed by two numbers 33 if a 33', followed by didgets indicating the hull number off the line ie; 00024 would be number 24 built of that model. When you find the hull ID contact the Mariners Museum and order the original hull card. I have one for every CC I have owned, which is 7 and counting. :roll:
Thanks Jim, ill be looking for the ID! Insureance company also asked for it. If i can`t find it on the companion hatches, it can also be stamped in the stringers for a 2 engine fit that would be on the port stringer?
Don`t feed angry Wolves

Rugger8

Post by Rugger8 » Thu May 31, 2012 8:59 pm

it can be in a lot of places. Mine is also stamped on the side of the engine hatches and the back of my side steps So just look around it will be on something. Best of luck with her!

Jeff

Kade06

Post by Kade06 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:06 am

I found a new one the other day on the bottom edge of the cabin door. You never know where they will come up
Chris Craft Cavalier Futura
1965 27 foot "Kristi D"

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:45 am

Any luck finding your hull #? another way is to call the Mariner's Museum with engine numbers (on the exhaust logs)They cross referance them with hull numbers.Of course, they would have to be original installations.

Kwadrant

Post by Kwadrant » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:07 am

Jim Bell wrote:Any luck finding your hull #? another way is to call the Mariner's Museum with engine numbers (on the exhaust logs)They cross referance them with hull numbers.Of course, they would have to be original installations.
Tomorrow ill be sailing her to her new homeport, wich is à 3 day trip with à friend. Ill have lots of time to investigate everything ! I hope i find it.
Don`t feed angry Wolves

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:27 am

Have a good cruise. Hope you find it. :)

Kwadrant

Post by Kwadrant » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:49 am

Dear those interested,

The trip went good, we did 148 miles in a mere 2 and a half day. We had rain, thunder, and lots of wind and waves. The paragon clutches used a little bit of oil, i don`t know if that is a serious thing. The forward hatch was leaking rainwater and also the side window rails where leaking in the cabin. But if this is all im happy.

Here is a little impression;

And i found a number but im not sure if its the hull number it starts with OY....
Don`t feed angry Wolves

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:01 am

Send your engine numbers to:

The Mariners' Museum
Chris-Craft Archives
100 Museum Drive
Nweport News, VA 23606

or call,

1-757-596-2222

They will send you a complete package of your boats build records including the orginal hull card from the factory. About 40 bucks. Just received mine for the 1965 24' Sea Skiff I just bought to add to the other ones I have for 5 previous CC's :wink:

jstolte

Post by jstolte » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:40 pm

This boat looks similar to my 67 36' Crusader, but its not a Crusader or a Connie as both have Planked hulls, not Plywood. Further the Crusader's helm is to port.

I've got my trusty "Chris-Craft The Essential Guide" by Jerry Conrad out and I'm going to investigate some more. I'll report back what I find...
John Stolte
1967 Chris Craft Crusader 36'
"Voyager"
1985 Chris Craft Scorpion 21'

CCABC IT Team Volunteer

jstolte

Post by jstolte » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:59 pm

OK, I give up. I've searched my book and I don't see it.

I too agree that I think it is a Cavalier Division hull, but can't figure which one. I'm getting cross-eyed..

The closest I found was a 1969 33' Futura. Could be... Blue hull color is accurate for that boat. That boat had two 327Q engines. Hull numbers VXE-33-001 to 045

I also could not find any hull numbers starting OY

Anyway, NICE BOAT! Enjoy!
John Stolte
"Voyager"

CCABC IT Team Volunteer

Kwadrant

Post by Kwadrant » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:18 am

Hi John,

Thanks for responding, i have below some interior pictures that might help.

A 33' footer has a small cabin with wall in the bow ? My CC has open one ?
Don`t feed angry Wolves

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:30 am

Your boat has been considerably changed since new. The cabin headliner looks like wood strips.It was originally perferated Natalex. The bulkhead between the V- birth and main cabin was probably removed with the upgrade. End your dilemma. Contact the Mariners' Museum today. :D

Kwadrant

Post by Kwadrant » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:47 pm

Found the Hull nr. but its barely readible.

What i make out of it is: GX8-7899 or OX8-7897 :shock:
Don`t feed angry Wolves

jstolte

Post by jstolte » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:06 am

Kwadrant wrote:Found the Hull nr. but its barely readible.

What i make out of it is: GX8-7899 or OX8-7897 :shock:
Or Maybe CX9 or ??? Whatever it is, it does NOT appear to be the hull number. Wrong format. I searched the Chris-Craft Essential Guide Hull number list,and there is nothing in that format.

Most, not all, are in the form VXA-36-2008 That's my hull number. The rest are just numbers with no letters, and I think that is just on teh earlies boats.

If

The VXA says it's a Cavalier division Crusader model. The 36 is the length. The 2008 indicates that it was the 8th boat built in the second year of production.

Where was this number found? I'm sure it means something to somebody, but I can't figure it out.
John Stolte
"Voyager"

CCABC IT Team Volunteer

debiby

Post by debiby » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:40 am

Just a thought, has this boat been registered with your state? My registration has all the numbers on it as well as year and model so you should be able to track it down that way.
Dan Biby
38' Challenger "DreamOn"

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:53 am

Please, I beg of you, call the museum! :lol: They have your answer. :wink:

jstolte

Post by jstolte » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:59 am

Jim Bell wrote:Please, I beg of you, call the museum! :lol: They have your answer. :wink:
I agree, but does he have the answers to the questions they will ask?

When I got my boat and called them, the only thing they wanted to know was my Hull Number and my credit card number

I was however VERY please with what I got back from them! :)
John Stolte
"Voyager"

CCABC IT Team Volunteer

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:29 pm

As I said in my previous post, :? the Museum has a cross referrance for hull numbers to engine numbers. Providing they are original engines (even if one is original) they can locate the hull number. The engine numbers are on the manifolds on a plate and will likly be 6 digets with the letter L on the counter rotating engine. 8)

Kwadrant

Post by Kwadrant » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:59 pm

Thanks for your reply and dito investigations, however another issue is that the original engines have been replaced in 1994 by 2x Peugeot Diesel engines. The previous owner before passed away during the restauration process. The insurreance legal form mentions Constellation 30' :? The boat is in Europe, Netherlands.

I am also 99% sure its a cavalier, i measured the boat from stem to stern and came at 10.35 meters wich is around 32-33 ft.

Still i will be on the lookout for another number that gives better proof. Because im thrived to change that ugly side windows back to original and need measurements or a drawing originating to a hull :!:

definately to be continued!

btw, thanks for thinking with me! So far this boat is giving me something i havent felt nor experienced in years :oops:
Don`t feed angry Wolves

jstolte

Post by jstolte » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Well, I don't think it is a Connie, unless they built a plywood one that I couldn't find any info on.

I think that bulging Blue area amidships on the topside might be a clue also. I don't think I have seen anything quite like that either.

The number you posted... Where exactly was that found?

Here's a link to the book I have been referencing..

http://www.amazon.com/Chris-Craft-Essen ... hris+craft
John Stolte
"Voyager"

CCABC IT Team Volunteer

jstolte

Post by jstolte » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:03 pm

Any idea what the number he posted might be Jim?
John Stolte
"Voyager"

CCABC IT Team Volunteer