Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

21' capri deck replacement

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

keithandkerry

21' capri deck replacement

Post by keithandkerry » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:13 pm

Just installed new deck on 21' 1956 capri. Would greatly appreciate some advice on routing the groove for the windshield. 3/8" inboard and tapering to 1/8" outboard. hate to mess it up now :?
Connie

Denis D

Re: 21' capri deck replacement

Post by Denis D » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:53 pm

Connie,

Check out the forum on Don Danenberg's site, you can ask your question there and I am sure you will get a good answer.

http://danenbergboatworks.com/

Denis D
Denis

1948 17' deluxe runabout

maritimeclassics

Post by maritimeclassics » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:33 pm

We do it by hand with a very sharp 3/4 inch chisel. Lay the old deck out on the floor so you have something to look at when you need to. Then take the windshield and position it one the old deck just to see how it sits there (you may have forgotten if you took the boat apart a while ago) to remind yourself. Position the the windshield on the new deck and get it right where it needs to be. This takes some measuring to get it just right. Draw around the bottom of the windshield with a sharp pencil and that is your guide. Note that the groove you are going to create may be smaller width wise because the frame sits into it and the lip of the windshield rests on the wood deck. That's why you put the old deck on the floor so you can see how it sits in the deck and for a good reference. Be careful of the depth not to go to deep because you can sand with a small wood block and some 80 grit to get it smooth and flat. Get that part done and then check back. There is another step we use with some epoxy and filler if you need it. Have fun and sharpen that chisel.
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout

steve bunda

Post by steve bunda » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:14 am

Mike letting all the top secrets out . We cut the old deck at the recess , place on new deck and scribe one side of the groove. Measure and scribe the other side of the deck groove . We use a 5 1/4 dewalt cordless saw and carefully cut the outline of the recessed deck groove. Then the tricky part is use your favorite router with a smaller bit than the groove width and remove material between the saw cuts, Ramp up un ends with a little skill while holding breath . Trim anything missed with a chisel.
Works well , done it 4 times in 25 years, drink a few beers first. Or bring the boat to our shop with a case of Heineken.
Good Luck, steve

maritimeclassics

Post by maritimeclassics » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:08 pm

Steve, the saw and router method works for sure but my only concern is one false move and your deck is ruined. I go with the chisel method which probably takes longer but much safer in a couple different ways, at least that's the way I have taught my guys to do it. This method is for someone not super skilled in wood working and lot of time behind a router.
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout

steve bunda

Post by steve bunda » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:06 am

I know what you are saying it takes a little skill, I was a tool and die maker with a lot of engraving and mold making experience. Thus it comes easy for me to saw and router to a line. We used to follow lines scribed on steel and cut on a bridgeport mill by moving x and y handles by hand and eye.
Back to the capri deck groove , you can use multiple passes with the cordless saw and then use the chisel for the little bit that is left to remove . And you can carve with the cordless saw by moves left to right .
The other option is to make a router following template and place on deck for safety from overcutting.
Attachments
0.jpg

keithandkerry

Post by keithandkerry » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:34 am

To all responders, Thanks very much. Was toying with the hammer and chisel method and also a router and jig method. Leaning toward router and jig method with practice on plywood first. Planning on making a groove in 1/2" plywood (jig) the right width for the frame and using a 1/2" x 1/2" mortising bit. There will be a 1/2" OD roller bearing on top of the cutter with a retaining collar. Plan on fastening the jig at the center with a screw where the center mount will be and spacers under the outboard end of the jig so the router will cut deeper in the center and shallower on the outboard side. How does that sound?

steve bunda

Post by steve bunda » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:37 am

That plan with a jig will work, the fade out of depth at the end of the cut can be accomplished by hand by lifting the router at the end of the cut. If I remember it is only a few inches long.