Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Adding Masthead Light for a 1953 Chris Craft Conqueror

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

[email protected]

Adding Masthead Light for a 1953 Chris Craft Conqueror

Post by [email protected] » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:41 pm

Hello, I just acquired a 52' 1953 Chris Craft Conqueror. I am trying to get her to Colreg standards and add a Masthead light. I currently only has an Anchor light. Any suggestions ? Do I need to mount a Masthead light on the top of the Cockpit ? Or any way to utilize the current Mast where the Anchor light is mounted (Original) ?

tim.whipple

Re: Adding Masthead Light for a 1953 Chris Craft Conqueror

Post by tim.whipple » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:58 pm

Hope this helps!
I have a similar situation, 1960 40' Conqueror, and the 'anchor' light at the top of the mast qualifies as a 'masthead light', i think. ;)
I'm running a VERY bright LED bulb in the the 'jetson' at the top of the mast, it stands fully above all structures/canvas, and can be seen from 360 degrees. I also run the same bulb in my stern ensign pole light, but its range of sight is 22.5 degrees aft of beam.
My boat has always passed USCG inspections and surveys with this setup. :)

USCG Inland Rules; RULE 21 Definitions
(a) “Masthead light” means a white light placed over the fore and aft centerline of the vessel showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 225 degrees and so fixed as to show the light from right ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on either side of the vessel.
1949 17’ Chris Craft Deluxe Runabout
1960 40’ Chris Craft Conqueror Cruiser
1960 9’ Penn Yan Aerodinghy Yacht Tender