Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Fuel fumes.

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

tombrancheau

Fuel fumes.

Post by tombrancheau » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:39 pm

1960 sea skiff. 283 Finished restoration. Runs great. Sll new fuel system tank, fuel lines, filter. No leaks no smell of gas in bilge water. I go out on water and when done i turnnoff fuel at tank and at fuel pump. I go into garage and i smell fumes. I always use blower bit i am atumped as to where it is coming from. Anyone else had this issie
Thanks

maritimeclassics

Re: Fuel fumes.

Post by maritimeclassics » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:15 am

Its most likely from the fuel tank vent. I'm not sure your tank is vented but in 1960 it should be but I would definitely find the source.
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:22 am

A timely question considering the explosion of a Century Coronado this past weekend at a boat show on Keuka Lake in upstate NY. The owners are recovering but this was a fuel vapor issue, even though it was reported that the blower was running.

It's possible that what you are smelling is the gas left in the carb bowl evaporating. Today's fuels are designed to atomize faster for use with fuel injection engines and they will under certain circumstances boil off quicker than older formulated gas. It could also be the fuel tank breather vent (if the boat has one). Racor makes a vent reservoir that mounts in line with the vent line to help prevent fuel overflows from dumping into the water. This might help with your problem, I have one on my boat and never had this issue. These could be the possible issues, however, I implore you to verify EVERYTHING fuel related to avoid a tragedy like the one I mentioned here.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

tombrancheau

Post by tombrancheau » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:36 am

Thanks. New tank set up with original venting thru the back of boat to outside. Im curious to know more about the inline thing u mentioned. I will for sure be sure everythingbis good before i go back put

tombrancheau

Post by tombrancheau » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:03 am

Im thinking if an experiment. Going to back boat out of garage. With fuel valves off im going to run it out of gas. Going to plug vent hole and return to garage. Gunna see how it smells

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:30 am

These are 2 reservoirs that Racor makes. The challenge is finding space above the fuel tank that this can be installed and still be vertical, or at least no more than the install manual recommends from true vertical. I installed this to prevent fuel overflow out the vent which will attack the varnish and is bad for the environment.
Attachments
racor.jpg
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

tombrancheau

Post by tombrancheau » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:47 pm

Thanks. Im looking into it. Being an open skiff i have visual on entire system. No
Leaks