Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Looking for the best 19' Chris-Craft Custom Availible

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

SportNWood

Looking for the best 19' Chris-Craft Custom Availible

Post by SportNWood » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:15 pm

Good evening,
After many years of admiring 19' Chris-Craft Customs, I am now actively looking for the very best available. My preference is for a 1940 with a 130hp or larger engine and orange deck seams. However, I wish to find a early 1939-1940 with Bugatti windshields and a boat which has been already completed by a well known and high quality restorer.
If you are aware of a boat which may meet this description, please let me know.
Thank you,
Niel
Niel Allen

ILLUSTRIOUS
1940 19' Chris-Craft Custom Runabout

Captain Nemo

Re: Looking for the best 19' Chris-Craft Custom Availible

Post by Captain Nemo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:14 pm

Welcome Niel, to the Boat Buzz. Just looked around quickly and found an example the Antique Boat Center has www.antiqueboat.com - it’s a ‘39. It has a 292 Ford Intercepter installed in the 50’s. It might not meet all of your descriptions but could be worth a look. Best of luck in your search.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

SportNWood

Post by SportNWood » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:05 am

Thank you Capt Nemo,
It's great to be back on Boat Buzz. I have looked at all the boats which are currently being offered on the major classic boat re-sellers and restorers. I'm hoping to let private sellers know what I'm looking for in case they may be considering letting their 19' Chris-Craft Custom go to a new caretaker.
Warmest regards,
Niel
Niel Allen

ILLUSTRIOUS

maritimeclassics

Post by maritimeclassics » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:52 am

I think you are looking for one like this, this boat is in Michigan and we take care of the boat. I have worked on this boat for 3 owners over a 20 year period. I know them well and will keep my eye open for one. This boat is not for sale but there are a couple of them out there you just need to make sure the hull number is correct to have the burnt orange deck strips.
IMG_20170707_111246171.jpg
IMG_20170707_111221738_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170707_111258302.jpg
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout

SportNWood

Post by SportNWood » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:01 am

Maritime,
You're Exactly correct! I am looking for a very nicely restored and correct boat like "Noah's Ark" I understand why these owners aren't looking to let her go at this time, but if you or any of the other members here on Boat Buzz, hear of a similar boat I am interested.
Thank you,

Niel
Niel Allen

ILLUSTRIOUS

North Woody

Post by North Woody » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:21 am

Hi Niel,

I just went through a similar search for a 19’ pre-war CC runabout and saw a lot of different boats out there with a high degree of variance of restoration quality between them. While I started by looking for the same Bugatti windshield BB that you are looking for, I ended up expanding my search to the 1935-1938 pre-BB boats as they share so much of that beautiful DNA and shape. I also found the pricing to be much more reasonable :). I, too, started by looking for a completely restored boat, but I ended up deciding that I wanted the best example of a well-documented, well cared-for and well-maintained boat that I could take on and complete myself. I plan for this boat to become a part of our family that we will pass on to our children, so I wanted to be part of the next leg of restoration to ensure that this work would be done properly on my watch. I come from the air-cooled Porsche world in restoring a 1968 911 that has been in my family since 1972, so tinkering with restoration very much appealed to me. I ended up buying a 1936 19’ runabout from a member on this forum who has been a great “Sherpa” and a good friend for my journey in wooden boating, and we are in the process of putting on a new 5200 bottom as the original bottom had finally given out. This way I know it’s getting done right, and I get to be part of the next portion of this wonderful boat’s life.

I did find a 1939 Bugatti-windshield BB that needed restoration that I seriously considered as I would have been able to participate in the work with the seller, but I ended up going a different route. I’m not sure if that work got done or if it’s waiting for the right buyer to do it, but if you’re willing to consider a non-completed boat you can ping Delavan Boat Shed to look at this one: https://www.delavanlakeboatshed.com/boa ... arrelback/. No affiliation at all, it just happens to be the same boat you’re looking for (albeit not yet fully restored!). As I recall, it’s got a 130hp M engine, and you can speak to Jamie who found and bought the boat in Georgia and is figuring out what to do with it. It would give you an opportunity the finish the boat you want to the spec you want if you’re interested to go that route.

Have fun with the search, it’s a huge part of whole experience. That, and enjoy this amazing forum! Everyone on this forum has been so gracious and helpful in sharing information and their experiences and resources that has really enhanced my (early) ownership experience. Happy hunting!
1936 Chris Craft 19’ Runabout “Lake Girl”
https://chris-craft.org/boats/49122/

SportNWood

Post by SportNWood » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:53 pm

Good afternoon North Woody,
Thank you for the reply and sharing your experience from your search. I am just beginning my search in a serious way and I have been advised that it's best to start with the best boat I can find. I do not have experience with restorations but am very interested in learning all that I can. I appreciate hearing from anyone who has gone through this process and learning from their experience.
Thank you again for reaching out.
Niel
Niel Allen

ILLUSTRIOUS

SportNWood

Post by SportNWood » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:59 am

Good afternoon All,

Thank you for all of the great information and help in my search for the very best available, 1940 19' Chris-Craft Custom Runabout (with orange deck seams).

I have found and purchased the boat I have been looking for.

The boat is Amazing and so are the folks who participated in making this happen!

I would like to thank:

Andy Hoffman (Antiqueboats.com)
Mike Green (Maritime Classics)
Don Hardy (McCall Boatworks)
Gary Lyons
Herb Hall (Sierra Boat Co.)
George Harrison
Matt Smith (Woody Boater)
Kyle Barton (Barton Boatworks
And everyone with whom I spoke with during my search.

The boat is in Traverse City, MI having the new registration numbers and new name added and a few finishing details at Maritime Classics.

We look forward to seeing you all at the Sunnyland show!

Thank you all for the great input.

NielImage
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
Last edited by SportNWood on Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niel Allen

ILLUSTRIOUS

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:01 pm

Sounds like you found exactly what you were looking for. I'm happy for you. Hope you have many hours of enjoyment. :D
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

SportNWood

Post by SportNWood » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:54 pm

New Transom Art Work for "Illustrious"

Getting ready for Lake Dora Show!
Attachments
Illustrious Transom.JPG
Niel Allen

ILLUSTRIOUS