Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Chris Craft Color Charts

Are you in need of information regarding "the way it was?" Or are you are a walking "who's-who" of Chris-Craft history? Share what you don't know—or do know here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

mrmeteor

Chris Craft Color Charts

Post by mrmeteor » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:52 am

Is there any kind of summary, directory, or listing of Chris Craft Color names, numbers, equivalents, and definitions?

Were different names used for the same color? different numbers?

Are there any color charts to show CC colors and shades?

Did CC have a system for adding, up-dating or changing "Decorative Styling Specifications"?

Examples (from Styling Specs 4/24/56 for Small Cruisers) —
#5700 Copper Bronze
#59-106 Hull White Undercoat
#70-116 White Finish
#80-822 Parrot Blue
#72-720 Dark Chamois Canvas Deck Paint
#72-823 Aquamarine Canvas Deck Paint
#58-510 Coral Undercoat
#67-510 Semi-Gloss Enamel
#63-2109 Gray Bilge Paint

Mahogany #11 Stain filled &
#MV-250 Gloss Varnished
Mahogany #7-719 Cordova filled &
# 3-5 Synthetic Varnish Base Coats &
#MV-33 Dull Varnish Finish

#5810 Spruce Seam Composition

Pat's Lair/ WORK OF ART (SC28-184)

comfortablynumb

Connie colors?

Post by comfortablynumb » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:05 pm

Great Question.... I have a 1965 46' Constellation I am currently restoring (at present I have the aft handrails sanded down....before I due the stain... it would be nice to know if the stain used for these were the interlux cc red or did they use Sandusky brand?

mrmeteor

Chris-Craft Color Charts

Post by mrmeteor » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:00 pm

comfortablynumb —

Wish I could help you, but you help me make the point. Someone, somewhere must have some answers; maybe we're in the wrong forum.

Do you have the Mariners' Museum packet for your specific hull number? It should show the factory info (color name and finish description) on the Styling Spec List. At least it's a place to start.

Pat's Lair/ WORK OF ART (SC28-184)

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:25 pm

Truth is that it might take a lot more digging through some of the misc. correspondence of the Chris-Craft Archives at The Mariners' Museum to hope to find any definition for some of these numbers. At this point it would be like finding a needle in a hay stack; most (if not all) of the collection has been sorted according to importance to collectors and restorers so I would think if it exists, the museum could put their finger on it by now. I doubt that another forum would have something that's not available here or at The Mariners' Museum.

The only one that I think I know would be the Mahogany #11 Stain/filler is matched by Interlux #573 CC Red for exterior brightwork. They used natural varnish on the exterior and many of the current brands would match it.
Al
Member - Executive Team

comfortablynumb

Post by comfortablynumb » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:58 am

Al Benton wrote:Truth is that it might take a lot more digging through some of the misc. correspondence of the Chris-Craft Archives at The Mariners' Museum to hope to find any definition for some of these numbers. At this point it would be like finding a needle in a hay stack; most (if not all) of the collection has been sorted according to importance to collectors and restorers so I would think if it exists, the museum could put their finger on it by now. I doubt that another forum would have something that's not available here or at The Mariners' Museum.

The only one that I think I know would be the Mahogany #11 Stain/filler is matched by Interlux #573 CC Red for exterior brightwork. They used natural varnish on the exterior and many of the current brands would match it.
Thanks for the info.... will try The Mariners' Museum.. next.....