Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Scared to take her out

Winterizing? Summerizing? Covering? Trailering? If it is about a boat out of water put it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Horstuff

Scared to take her out

Post by Horstuff » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:28 pm

Just like in high school :shock:

My 1948 27' enclosed cruiser, 94" beam, needs her bottom painted as well as A LOT of deferrered maintenance, plus various things that just plain need fixing. As of now, she's in a covered salt water slip 1.5 hours away. With my schedule, I usually make it down there once a month at best. It's pathetic. 

I can't afford to pay Jeeves to do all the work needed, but I'm worried about two things if I bring the boat home for the winter and do the work myself (I have a nice unheated shop here at the house)...

How to get her here and back safely, without stressing everything too much like a normal boat trailer would?

And

What procedure do I need to follow to make sure she doesn't become unusable next spring? Hell, I may even stretch this out through next season, so that would mean a year and a half out of the water. The seams will all open up, I'm assuming.

Thoughts?

Bobby
1948 27' Super DeLuxe Enclosed Cruiser

boat_art

Re: Scared to take her out

Post by boat_art » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:28 pm

Find a pro transporter experienced in wood boats.
The hull will open up but that's normal. An unheated shop is about the best way to keep her. When you do launch, she will swell up within a day or so.
Tom
http://www.boatartgallery.com
1956 CC Connie 47'
1959 Caulkins bartender
1965 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer
1953 Chris Craft Holiday
1941 Chris Craft Deluxe
Plus 8-12 customer boats at any time
God don't count the days spent messing around in wood boats.

boat_art

Post by boat_art » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:30 pm

Keep us posted on progress...with pics!
http://www.boatartgallery.com
1956 CC Connie 47'
1959 Caulkins bartender
1965 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer
1953 Chris Craft Holiday
1941 Chris Craft Deluxe
Plus 8-12 customer boats at any time
God don't count the days spent messing around in wood boats.

Greg Wallace

Post by Greg Wallace » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:00 pm

Make sure she is supported properly with even distribution on chines, stringers and keel with no excessive pressure on keel or any one area. Should not be supported "sailboat style" blocked with primary weight on keel with jack stands outboard to keep upright. The more supports the better to spread the weight. Again even and level to avoid any change in shape. You want to avoid twist or hogging or lumpy keel.

It is easier to keep her from drying out rather than re-hydrating after she has openned up. Watch the humidity and if gets too dry you can add some by spraying water on the floor under the boat. Less a problem with a dirt floor, more so if concrete. If too humid ventilate. A little water in the bilge will help but don't fill her up, just enough to allow for some humidity. Don't over do it to the point will promote mold or rot. She will dry out some but you can retard the process and make it easier to swell when your done and reduce stress on the wood from expansion and contraction. Good luck.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

Horstuff

Post by Horstuff » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:49 pm

Good advice, both of you. Thanks.

Does anyone know of a pro transporter in the Seattle area?
1948 27' Super DeLuxe Enclosed Cruiser