Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

engine block heater

Winterizing? Summerizing? Covering? Trailering? If it is about a boat out of water put it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Bill_G

engine block heater

Post by Bill_G » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:07 pm

Does anyone have knowlege or opinions on whether or not an engine block heater used with an engine blanket would offer protection from freezing?

drrot

Post by drrot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm

Only on a closed cooling system.

qukalake

Block heater

Post by qukalake » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:30 am

Bill, for what it's worth, I'm here in the Finger Lak es Western New York State. I keep my 56 utility, small block Chevy in my garage all winter. Inside the motor box I keep two 60 W bulbs running continuously. Never a problem, unless your bulbs burn out while you're swimming down at Marco Island.
The reason for two bulbs is in case one bulb burns out you and you don't notice it for a couple days. One bulb will actually keep it warm enough so it doesn't freeze. I guess it all boils down to how cold does it get where you have your boat. This
Dennis

1956 C~C Holiday
Good manners,
a gift you give yourself

JohnKadimik

lightbulb

Post by JohnKadimik » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:26 am

That's crazy !

evansjw44

Power Outage

Post by evansjw44 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:28 am

So while you're enjoying the warm temps at Marco Island your home on the Finger Lakes has a power outage. How long before your block freezes? How long does it take the local utility to get you back on line? If you haven't drained the block and manifolds you're taking a risk. But maybe you just want a new engine anyway.
Jim Evans

qukalake

Post by qukalake » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:19 am

Ouch! Easy fellas, let me try to explain with a little more detail. I'm full-time here, I don't go to Florida, but a lot of people do. I watch several houses for people when they go, and this is where I got the idea. Garages here in the steep areas are built into the hillside, henceforth, sometimes three sides of the garage are underground. I have left water bottles, on my workbench overnight at 10° outside that do not freeze. I heat the garage with a wood stove, a 30,000 BTU heater on the wall, which raises the temperature everyday 60. We all have generators on standby, fortunately we don't have to use a very much. The Township I live in does a good job on trimming trees along roadways, those pesky branches that knock out the power lines. Am I taken a chance, I suppose so. This program may not be for everybody, but it works here for me.
Dennis

1956 C~C Holiday
Good manners,
a gift you give yourself

evansjw44

Drain The Engine

Post by evansjw44 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:35 am

Well you have a better prepared storage area then most. But I still would not store a boat with water left in the engine block or manifolds. If nothing else you'll get a wad of corrosion at start up and maybe block some passages. Just my opinion.
Jim Evans