Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Lifting and blocking

Winterizing? Summerizing? Covering? Trailering? If it is about a boat out of water put it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Willie

Lifting and blocking

Post by Willie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:12 pm

Hello Al, ( I tried pm Al but no response after 4 days ) so anyone that can answer my post is welcome as long it's not guess work - thanks so much

I have searched and I'm unable to find detailed information on lifting my 1965 Chris Craft Challenger 38.

I am very concerned that it is done correctly and if anyone can give me explicit information its you.

The yard is going to use three straps and I imagine they will be aligned with bulk heads. My concerns are chines and keel. I don't want excessive weight on keel or chine, is there a technique that should be applied with blocks..

Do you have pictures I can share with yard? Pictures are worth their weight in GOLD.

Secondly, Blocking the boat on hard for paining bottom.

My understanding is we dont want too much weight on keel and it should be supports under engine stringers, garboard area and chine and lightly on keel.

Again picture would be so helpful.

This a plywood inner and plank outer with keel / keelson ( you know more than me by far.

Here are some pictures.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0qGWZuqDGjxumZ

I have about 6000 hours WORK into my boat, I have done everything myself, but its time to take it out again and i'm so worried,

Willie

jfrprops

Re: Lifting and blocking

Post by jfrprops » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:14 am

good lord willie! you may not be expert at lifting and blocking but you have engine detail down to a fine art man!!
All the advice you listed is correct. In my long experience I would say that the yard guys are the key here. They need to be slow and easy with her. Three straps is the deal for sure. But as to sitting her heavy on the keel...well you have to sit her down gently but she can stand it. then as said, block her along the bottom near the chine, in a few places, and rock on. If the lift has spreader bars that will lessen the side strain...use them. Don't fret to much about this...it has to be done so go for it.
John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Willie

Post by Willie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:32 pm

thank you very much

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:06 am

I had to save the pics of your engines....that is the nicest job I have EVER seen....and I have seen a lot....
John in Va
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)