Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

2015 Election of Directors - Biographies of Nominees

Every so often the executives of The Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club will pose a question asking for your thoughts. Or maybe you have something that you would like to share with us. Step up on the soap box here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

2015 Election of Directors - Biographies of Nominees

Post by Al Benton » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:17 pm

The 2015 Election of Directors begins November 1st and ends on the 15th. Our Nominating Committee submitted the following names to be considered by our members for serving 2-year terms as Directors of the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club. Those elected will begin their tenure on January 1st, 2016 and will be expected to serve until December 31st, 2017.

Your 2015 Board of Directors are as follows:

Jim Frechette - Term expires 12/31/2015 - Presently serving as Board President -
Al Benton - Term expires 12/31/2015 - Presently serving as Vice President & Membership
Paul Harrison - Term expires 12/31/2015 - Past Vice President
Robert Macaluso - Term expires 12/31/2016
BK Powell - Term expires 12/31/2016
Donald Ploetner - Term expires 12/31/2016
Jeff Rogers - Term expires 12/31/2015 - Presently serving as Secretary

Jim Frechette and Paul Harrison are stepping down after this year, however, Jeff Rogers and Al Benton submitted their names as candidates and were approved as Nominees for reelection. Please join me in a huge Thank You to Jim and Paul for their exemplary service to the Club as both Directors and Officers. Their accomplishments over the past 3 plus years are too numerous to count.

Please review all of the following 5 Biographies of Nominees before considering 4 of them to become Directors beginning in 2016.

Biographies of Nominees: In alphabetical order as they appear on the Official Ballet

Al Benton:
I joined the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club in 2003 after becoming the care-taker of a 1960, 27’ Chris-Craft Constellation that was in need of some TLC. As with many of you, I joined to learn more about how to care for her. Over the years that followed, I also became passionate about supporting the overall mission of preserving the history of the Chris-Craft brand.

In early 2012 I was appointed as a Director of this Club to help with reorganization and was immediately charged with the duties of Membership; a task that has been a true pleasure to fulfill for the past 3 plus years, and one that I plan to continue fulfilling as long as I am able, and you are willing.

In November of 2013 (our first election) I was reelected to serve an additional 2-year term as a Director, and would gladly serve an additional 2-year term in service to our membership.

Mike Hagan:
Home port: Lake Okoboji, Iowa

Owner of Fascination, a 1929 CC triple upswept.

My earliest memories of boating date back to the mid 50's when my dad and his brother built and raced hydro planes.

Fast forward and its 1982 when I purchased my first "woody", a 1962 Century Resorter.

I've since been fortunate enough to own several beautiful classics throughout my years of boating.

The last 15 years
I've have had the pleasure of coordinating and managing the annual antique and classic boat show on the shores of beautiful Lake Okoboji. Our show has become a destination show for boats from all over the country and is one of the largest annual events of the summer.

Obviously my passion in the stewardship of our classics and desire is to offer what services I can for not only the retention of our membership but the future generation to come.

I believe that we've had a glorious history but the future is key to assuring that our present ownership won't someday be a long lost "barn find".

Troy Hersom:
I was quite flattered this spring when my friend Al Benton suggested I consider serving on the BOD for the CCABC. Over the summer I had thought about it a couple of times but decided I would consider it more seriously for the 2017 year, so you can imagine my surprise when Don Ayers called and asked if he was supposed to put my name in the hat this fall. In short here I am.
When Don asked for a short Bio I sent him my contact info and the statement "I Love Chris Craft Boats". That is all that really seems important to me, but they wanted more.

In thinking about it I have decided it is less important that I tell you about my life as a 30 year self-employed franchise owner than it is to tell you what I am not interested in doing on the BOD.

First I am not really the administrative type, so feel free to cast your vote for someone more qualified for the position.
I come with no agenda or vision for where the club needs to go.

I am not interested in making any kind of political statement during my service to the CCABC. In fact I don't care what your political, or religious views are, what your sex, color, ethnicity, or even sexual preferences are, if you have a passion or even a slight interest in Chris Craft boats, be them Mahogany, Plywood, Steel, Aluminum, or Fiberglass, Carvel or Clinker built (did I leave any out?) then we have something in common, and that is what I am interested in.

I guess if I represent anything specific in this hobby it would be the "User Group". Though I have a great deal of admiration and respect for those of you who restore a boat to "As it came out of the factory" standards the two Chris Crafts that I have the privilege of stewarding are nowhere near that level, however they are well maintained and enjoyed.

I try to live life on the lighter side of things not taking myself, others, or circumstances too seriously. If the club wants me as a representative I am happy to serve.

In conclusion all I can say is:
I Love Chris Craft Boats

Andy Riggs:
I was born in Darrtown, OH, a very small town in Ohio about 30 miles northwest of Cincinnati. As a young boy, I spent countless hours in a bass boat, mainly on the Ohio River and Brookville Lake in Indiana with my father. I was pictured in the local paper at the age of 6 holding my first trophy Largemouth Bass. The passion of fishing and boating continued on as I grew and spent time with friends on lakes in Northern Michigan, Kentucky, and Tennessee. In 2008, I saved a 1969 Chris Craft Ski Boat from the salvage yard with my brother in law. I would spend the next several years as an active member of the Boat Buzz forum, learning about these fine crafts and documenting my 3 year restoration of FLASH, launching her again in September of 2014.

I am a Pro Account Representative for The Home Depot covering 18 stores in Greater Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky, and Dayton, OH. With 60 large Pro customers in my portfolio, I play an active role in the success of the Pro business within these markets. I have been with the company for 10 years and am a true believer in the brand and the success of the company.

I currently live in Oxford, OH, home of Miami University, with my wife Jennifer and our 3 children, Drew (7), Stella (5), and Sophia (3). While life is certainly busy, my family and I are active members of the Hamilton Boat Club, a private club located on the banks of the Great Miami River that has been around for 82 years. I am also a member of the ACBS Bluegrass Chapter and the CCABC, volunteering to serve as an ambassador at 2 shows this summer.

As I have stated before, the future success of both the CCABC and the ACBS will rely on the growth of new membership, especially from Generation X and younger. While many of us are active on the Boat Buzz Forum, sharing information, we need to get this same passion for preserving this part of American History out to the next generation of Club members. At 38 years old, I have noticed that I am typically one of the youngest participants at any of the show I have attended and really want to bring new folks into this arena in order to build a solid membership base for the future.

We have a great club here and I really look forward to meeting many more of you in person at shows and the events that are being planned as we speak. I would like the club to be more involved in the ACBS shows in an effort to drive membership. I would also like to see more events for members on a regional and national level. If elected, I plan to make driving new membership and promoting a sense of community my top priorities.

Jeff Rogers:
PURCHASED 1ST VINTAGE BOAT: August 1989 (a 1939 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout)
• JOINED Chris Craft Antique Boat Club (CCABC) - 1990
• JOINED Antique & Classic Boat Society (ACBS) -1990
• DIRECTOR - Water Wonderland Chapter/ACBS (1992-1994)
• PRESIDENT - Water Wonderland Chapter/ACBS (1994-1996, 1996-1998)
• DIRECTOR - Antique & Classic Boat Society, Inc. (1996-1997)
• SECRETARY - Antique & Classic Boat Society, Inc. (1997-2002)
• VICE PRESIDENT - Antique & Classic Boat Society, Inc. (2003-2005)
• PRESIDENT - Antique & Classic Boat Society, Inc. (2005-2006)
• BOAT SHOW CHAIR - Boats on the Boardwalk - Traverse City, MI (early-to-mid 2000's)
• CHAIR / ACBS Vintage Boat Symposium @ Mystic Seaport - Mystic, CT - April 2007
• SYMPOSIA: Attended ACBS Symposia @ Mariners Museum - 1991, 1993, 1997
• CHIEF JUDGE - Les Cheneaux Islands Antique Wooden Boat Show - Hessel, MI (2001 to present)
Last edited by Al Benton on Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Arranged Bio's in alphabetic order to match Ballet
Al
Member - Executive Team

Doug P

Re: 2015 Election of Directors - Biographies of Nominees

Post by Doug P » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:56 am

A good group of candidates to select from.

OCULUS

Post by OCULUS » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:26 am

I would like to see home port for each candidate. FWIW, I'm on Lake George, NY and would like to see a broad cross-section of geography represented. Thx,

Ray Hull

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:35 am

Hi Ray:

I am in Edgecomb, Maine on a salt water river leading to the Atlantic. Also spend a great deal of time on Lake Cobbosseecontee at the family camp in East Winthrop, Maine.

This is the area that Doug P. now refers to as the ANE (Atlantic North East).

Thanks

Troy

JimF
Club Executive Team

Post by JimF » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:48 am

Ray, As Troy mentioned, he is from Maine. Most of the bios mentioned where they lived but I am happy to review.
Al Benton-St. Louis
Mike Hagen-Lake Okoboji, Iowa
Andy Riggs-Cincinnati, OH
Jeff Rogers-Grand Rapids, Michigan

Also on the board but not up for re-election this year are Robert Macaluso from Houston, TX and BK Powell from Spokane, Washington.
Seems like a pretty good cross-section of the country! And, as always,I will put in a plug for next year. We are constantly looking for new members for the board and if anyone feels their area is underserved, please sign up for next year.
1930 Chris-Craft Model 100 20' "MOXIE"
1940 Chris-Craft Red and White 25' "Old Paint"
1946 Chris-Craft Sportsman 25' "CinCity"

OCULUS

Post by OCULUS » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:48 pm

Thx guys, appreciate the info and diversity.
Now, I can cast an "informed" ballot...;-}
Ray Hull

drrot

Post by drrot » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:36 pm

Jim,
Glad to see your post. That foot of rain yesterday fill up your lake?
Hope all is well.

JimF
Club Executive Team

Post by JimF » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:23 pm

It certainly helped the lake. Up about four feet. Is actually above normal for this time of year! Up fifty feet since a year ago. We are boating!!

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:23 pm

[quote="drrot"]Jim,
Glad to see your post. That foot of rain yesterday fill up your lake?
Hope all is well.[/quote]

Hey Jim: Jim's lake is actually a constant level lake, but lake Travis raised 45 feet in May.

http://www.golaketravis.com/waterlevel/ ... age=2#news

JimF
Club Executive Team

Post by JimF » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:48 pm

When I was listing the locations of the board members I inadvertently left out Don Ploetner who is not up for re-election but lives in New Jersey.

quitchabitchin

Post by quitchabitchin » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:11 pm

I'm a little late to the party, but I grew up on the Meldahl Pool of the Ohio River, Brookville Lake, IN, and vacationed at Torch Lake in Michigan. More recently, I have enjoyed time in the water at Dale Hollow Lake, TN (my preference), Lake Cumberland, KY, and still fish on the Ohio.

Andy Riggs

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:14 pm

Andy I guess we should have included our log in name, as I did not know your were "quitchabitchin".

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:34 pm

As I sit here on the last day of elections I just want to say: no matter what the outcome I am grateful for the opportunity to be considered to serve this organization.

I think it is a very positive thing that we have more nominees than we have positions. It shows that our members want to be involved in guiding our club into it's future.

Thank You!

Troy Hersom

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:55 pm

TROY....I VOTED FOR YOU 12 TIMES

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:06 pm

THANKS DOUG!

That will explain it if I end up with 13 votes.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:49 pm

WRONG Troy my boy! I voted for you too, figuring if you win you will certainly have to come to Tavares this year...and buy me that lunch.....

And I had to vote for quityourbitchin......as he is running my engine!

John in Va.

drrot

Post by drrot » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:37 am

[quote="tkhersom"]THANKS DOUG!

That will explain it if I end up with 13 votes.[/quote]
Being from Chicago I voted for you another dozen times

mfine

Post by mfine » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:31 pm

I wasn't sure if it would be nicer to vote for you or not vote for you. For whomever won, Congrats on your victory, and condolences on your sentence. Also, whoever won or lost, don't blame me, I only voted once.