Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Club website update

Every so often the executives of The Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club will pose a question asking for your thoughts. Or maybe you have something that you would like to share with us. Step up on the soap box here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Club website update

Post by Don Ayers » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:04 am

Membership;

As we continue to improve the benefits to membership you will notice some small changes and some larger ones.

One of these small changes is a much needed face lift to the main website.

www.chris-craft.org

We hope you like it and our intention is to continue to update and upgrade our electronic member benefits.

A special recognition to member and volunteer Matt Byrne who leads the IT Team.

Let us know what you think and help us test things out as we know there are a few things not functional yet.

Happy Boating
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

martyhills

Post by martyhills » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:45 pm

Looks fantastic Don!!

farupp

Post by farupp » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:55 pm

Excellent improvement. Thanks, Matt.
Frank
Frank Rupp
1959 22-foot Sea Skiff Ranger
283 Flywheel Forward engine

ppeters48

Post by ppeters48 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:07 pm

Its not a really big deal but, when I log into boat buzz
I'm automatically logged into club home, and if I forget to go to club home after I log out of the buzz,and log out there also, I'm logged in until I remember to go to home and log out there also, any way to just log into the buzz with also logging into Club home? Every thing else looks great by the way.
Phil, Mac OS with firefox in case it matters

parroteyes

Post by parroteyes » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:08 am

Looks great on my Nook.
Hull # 16-R-OX2 (March 1946)
Engine 1B #26564

That's me 1950 - already a CC lover!

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:45 am

looks great, only missing one thing!
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

mattbyrne

Post by mattbyrne » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:07 am

Matt, Let me guess, the one thing missing is a link to one particular web site?

mfine

Post by mfine » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:07 am

Matt Smith wrote:looks great, only missing one thing!
An auto redirect to woodyboater.com?

mfine

Post by mfine » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:08 am

Hmmm lots of Matt's all thinking the same thing. The rest of you should be scared!

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:19 am

Knowing all three of you I'm nervous :shock:
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:26 am

Its gonna cost them, wait, us. Oh crap! I have contacted our Russian office! I hope you all like camels and toes!
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

MikeM

Post by MikeM » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:58 am

Let me guess....its missing a spelling error!
1929 Hacker Craft Dolphin, 24'
1940 Century Utility, 17'
1947 Chris Craft Special, 16'
1947 Chris Craft Sportsman, 22'
1949 Chris Craft Racing Runabout, 19'
1952 Penn Yan Cartopper, 12'
1954 Chris~Craft Racing Runabout, 19' (For Sale)
1971 Century Arabian, 19'
1973 Dan Arena Custom, 21'

Stovebolt

Post by Stovebolt » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:22 pm

MikeM wrote:Let me guess....its missing a spelling error!

HAHA! *ZING*
1961 Chris Craft 17' Ski Boat
1973 15.6' Hourston Glasscraft

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:33 pm

hardy har har
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

Rabbit

Post by Rabbit » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:15 pm

Really nice update. The photography alone is such an improvement. It looks almost as good as Woody Boater.

carlstroh

As a new member, I have many questions?

Post by carlstroh » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:50 pm

1.) the web site is very unfriendly. Restrictions on a members ability to participate in various aspects of the club are baffling!
2.) Hull registry for example is great to research but how does one add a registration to your archive.
3.) I paid my $50.00 and I waited a respectful time after finding out that I did not have immediate access to return and try to respond to comments on club business only to find out that I can't post in that forum?????
4.) I can be reached at [email protected] if anyone out there would like to help me become an active member as opposed to a sideline observer...Thank you....Carl Stroh AKA "Butch" owner of a 1956 18' CC Continental CL-18-176

farupp

Post by farupp » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:09 am

Butch, please remember that everyone who oversees the club, the web site, Boat Buzz, Archives, Hull Registry, etc., are volunteers. Noone gets paid anything for what they do.

It takes a while to learn how to navigate around eveything that the Club offers. When you do I believe you will be amazed at what you get for your $50.

I'm sure one of the administrators (I'm not one) will contact you to accelerate your learning curve.

Alternatively your may email me at [email protected] and I'll be glad to help by phone with both of us online on the site. One very important thing to remember is that you must login with your user name and password to utilize any of these features. Sometimes you have to login more tham once. If you don't login, you will only be able to look.

Frank
Frank Rupp
1959 22-foot Sea Skiff Ranger
283 Flywheel Forward engine

mattbyrne

Post by mattbyrne » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:02 pm

Butch,

It appears the links that allow you to add a boat to your profile are no longer visible. This must have happened with the latest update to the site. I'll look into it as soon as I can.

Matt

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Re: As a new member, I have many questions?

Post by Don Ayers » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:39 pm

carlstroh wrote:1.) the web site is very unfriendly. Restrictions on a members ability to participate in various aspects of the club are baffling!
2.) Hull registry for example is great to research but how does one add a registration to your archive.
3.) I paid my $50.00 and I waited a respectful time after finding out that I did not have immediate access to return and try to respond to comments on club business only to find out that I can't post in that forum?????
4.) I can be reached at [email protected] if anyone out there would like to help me become an active member as opposed to a sideline observer...Thank you....Carl Stroh AKA "Butch" owner of a 1956 18' CC Continental CL-18-176
Butch, just so you know the new Board takes all comments/concerns very seriously and we will do our best to address them.

1. We agree with you about the Club home page. Keep in mind the current group did not design it but we are going to redesign it for sure. We only gained access to this and the Boat Buzz on April 1st. We are currently evaluating exactly what is there and how we wish it could be.

2. Again, the functionality of the site needs to be improved. I'm no programmer but we have a Cracker Jack programmer leading the IT Team (Matt Byrne) and we are so grateful for his help. Matt will be working with the Board to produce a proposal for Scope of Work for an entirely new design and what that will entail from both a time and money standpoint. Our first mission was to stabilize the electronic assets of the CCABC and get the Brass Bell publication back on track. All of the Board and volunteers are not paid a dime of CCABC revenue for execution of membership benefits. Everyone pays their dues just like you do! We have turned a major corner regarding club operations and have got the Brass Bell (JUST ONE OF THE CCABC MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS BTW) back into production, without compromising quality! Issues are hitting mailboxes at this very moment and we are already half way on the next installment. As we continue down the new path our next goal is to update the electronic benefits and that means a full upgrade to the Boat Buzz (still operating on a 2005 version of PHPBB), Club web site, and all other benefits associated like the archive and hull registry, just to mention two.

3. You absolutely should have had immediate access to the Boat Buzz and all other membership benefits (after you log in). We are sorry if this was not clear. We can simply reset your pass word as a temporary one; however you did post here so I assume you have it now. Just set your Internet Browser to "Remember Password" and then you don't have to log in every time.

4. There are a ton of people who will guide you along. On this note we certainly recognize the fact that Boat Buzz is a forum you have to learn. We have some plans to help new and long standing members alike get the most out of the Buzz. In the short term we will be posting some short video tutorials (lessons, for those of us in Oklahoma) that will show how to do various things like attached a picture, use Emotions, Search the archive, etc etc.

Finally we want to say hello and thank you for becoming more active. That is what the CCABC is all about.
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

dhnelson

Thank You!

Post by dhnelson » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:11 pm

Just a big THANK YOU to this team for stepping up and getting this train wreck back on the rails.

It is greatly appreciated!

Respectfully,

Don Nelson
Don Nelson

carlstroh

Post by carlstroh » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:24 pm

I am impressed with the three positive and helpful reply's to my frustrated initial venture into the this web site. Thank you all I am now ready to embrace it all....

mattbyrne

Post by mattbyrne » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:59 am

I have updated the web site so the links to access "my boats" are now again visible.

To managed the boat(s) in your profile/hull registry, first goto the main web site and verify that you are logged in. Then go to "Hull Registry" under the "Resource" menu at the top of the page. When you are logged in and view this page you will see 3 additional links
  • Browse
    My Boats
    Register New Boat
These are the link to manages your boat information in the hull registry

Sorry about the glitch, hope this helps.

Stovebolt

Post by Stovebolt » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:34 am

May I also add, Carl, you have a beautiful boat.
1961 Chris Craft 17' Ski Boat
1973 15.6' Hourston Glasscraft

mattbyrne

Post by mattbyrne » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:35 pm

We've made a couple more updates to the web site.

1) The calendar now is displaying a feed from the ACBS web site. This allows all calendar data to reside in one place. So if you have an event you would like to see on the calendar please submit your data on the ACBS site at http://www.acbs.org/calendar/index.php?com=submit We are following WoodyBoaters lead on this, they are displaying the same feed.

2) We now have an advanced search page for the archive. It allows everyne a way to narrow the search to a specific category (ie Ads, periodical etc). You also have the ability to use the Lucene search syntax. This allows things like wildcard searches and term searches. For all the details visit: http://lucene.apache.org/core/3_6_0/que ... yntax.html
Please try this out and let me know what you think. The query language is very powerful. You can find the link to this new page on the existing basic search page or goto http://www.chris-craft.org/archive/AdvancedSearch.php

carlstroh

Your comment....

Post by carlstroh » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:44 pm

Stovebolt wrote:May I also add, Carl, you have a beautiful boat.
Thank you, It will be named "Kismet"

mfine

Post by mfine » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:07 am

HUGE THANK YOU for the advanced search!