Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

ACBS Quarterly Meeting in Seattle

Every so often the executives of The Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club will pose a question asking for your thoughts. Or maybe you have something that you would like to share with us. Step up on the soap box here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Bill Basler

ACBS Quarterly Meeting in Seattle

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:11 pm

I received this message late last week from member Bret Kiddey. Those in the Seattle area take note.

=========
...Oh, I should have beat the drum much earlier than this about the Antique and Classic Boat Society's annual quarterly meeting here in the Seattle area on May 5. Our Pacific North West Chapter has a great weekend planned around the annual Opening Day of Boating Season celebrations (Saturday May 6) with co-ordinated events at The Center for Wooden Boats on Lake Union in downtown Seattle and also at The Seattle Yacht Club. Friday afternoon after the ACBS meetings at The Marriot on Lake Union there will be rides in PNW Chapter member's boats and a tour of the former Washington State Governor's Yacht "Olympus" which is now owned by a PNW member, at the Seattle Yacht Club. Friday night will feature a barbeque salmon dinner and one man steel drum band back at the CWB. The same band with more members will be on a chapter member's cruiser for the Opening Day Boat Parade on Saturday. This ties in with the Seattle Yacht Club's theme for this year "Carribean Carnival" and all of our chapter members and guests in the boat parade will be wearing really cool hat costumes making us a "Flotilla of Flaming Pink Flamingos" in the parade. The Seattle Yacht Club really takes this stuff seriously and there will be yacht club officers dressed up in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band or maybe Admiral Lord Nelson- like uniforms complete with silly hats. Representatives from the Royal Vancouver and maybe other Canadian yacht clubs will be there and probably some from Oregon and California too. I'm new to this area, but I understand that all of this opening day hoopla has been going on for about 100 years or so and that it is the biggest floating party in the world.
There will be an after- parade lunch at the boat house for the University of Washington crew rowing teams and a Saturday evening banquet back at the Marriot. I believe that there is also an informal San Juans Island cruise planned for Sunday. All of this is better described in the "Opening Day" link on our chapter's web site: ACBS-PNW.org. There are on- line registration forms but I think that the deadline is tommorrow (May 25). You could probably still give the chapter president a call at this late date too ( phone number on the web pages). It may be interesting to put something about it on Boat Buzz, even though it is a bit late.

Bret
[email protected]
Bill Basler