Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Commemorative Vintage Boating Stamps

Every so often the executives of The Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club will pose a question asking for your thoughts. Or maybe you have something that you would like to share with us. Step up on the soap box here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Wilson Wright

Commemorative Vintage Boating Stamps

Post by Wilson Wright » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:41 am

Tomorrow, August 4th, will be the first time first day cancellations are available for the new vintage boating commemorative postage stamps. The stamps should be available tomorrow at all post offices in the U.S. Members will be especially interested in the Chris Craft stamp.

Special first day ceremonies are scheduled for tomorrow for Tallahassee (9AM); Traverse City, MI., Portland OR. and possibly Algonac, MI( in conjunction with boat shows)and Clayton NY late in the afternoon before boat show awards.

Several newspapers have stories appearing in today's (Friday) issues and several TV stations have reported on tomorrow's activities.

Members who see or hear radio or TV stories are asked to tell us and members who see newspaper and magazine stories are asked to send copies to Bill Basler.
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:23 pm

I have also heard from Mariette Deems, Postmaster & Treasurer and Membership Chair, ACBS Inland Empire Chapter in Coeur d Alene, ID.

Mariette writes, "I am the Treasurer and Membership chair for the Inland Empire Chapter ACBS in Idaho. I am also a Postmaster of Priest River 83856 by Priest
Lake. I am having an event at the Coeur d Alene Wooden Boat Festival on
August 18 and 19th. I have created a Pictorial Cancellation for the
Wooden Boat Stamps and a commemorative envelope of Wooden Boats."

For those of you who are in this area, please take advantage of Mariette's USPS experience as well as her vintage boating experience. Mariette can be reached at 208-659-6976.

I will follow up this evening with a few more details.
Bill Basler

Wilson Wright

Vintage boat postage stamps

Post by Wilson Wright » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:13 pm

Mark Saunders from the USPS in Washington e-mailed me today and sent me to a Google site which list stories from 67 different nespapers and TV stations today. There is one in France and one in Australia and also one in the Minneapolis paper where they have much more to write about today than postage stamps. The project is obviously getting lots of ink.
Wilson Wright

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:22 pm

As Wilson points out, a quick Google search for "Vintage Postage Stamp" reveals a bunch of related stories and events. It appears that the story is on the newswires and is being picked up worldwide.

As well, those of you in attendance at a few key locations, such as Coeur d Alene, ID, (august 18th) Tallahassee, FL, (August 4th) and Clayton, NY (August 4th) to name a few, will be able to take part in the big day with souvenir postmarks, a specially prepared cancellation specific to the date and location. See the photos below.

Bill Basler

Wilson Wright

Vintage Boat postage stamps

Post by Wilson Wright » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:58 pm

Bill:

Didn't you tell me that celebrations would be held this weekend at Traverse City, Portland Ore and maybe at the Comander Rendezvous at Algonac....and don't forget 25 boats are signed up for in the water and a few more on land for a celebration in Mt. Dora hosted by the Postmasters from Orlando, Mt. Dora, Tavares and Leesburg this Sunday afternoon.As Bob Barker would say, "Come on down."
Wilson Wright

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:09 pm

Correct. You beat me to it.
Bill Basler

Wilson Wright

First commemorative vintage boating stamp unveiling

Post by Wilson Wright » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:19 pm

Here is a photo taken this morning in Tallahassee at the first of many unveilings of the new commemorative vintage boating stamps.

In the picture are Club Executive Director Wilson Wright, The Assistant postmaster (in hat) the postal media person and the Supervisor of Bulk Mailing that handled getting the Brass Bell out of Tallahassee for the last 15 years.

The ceremony also appeared on the 6 o'clock news and there were reports of a stamp story on CNN today.
Wilson Wright

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:38 am

I got this on DVD yesterday from member Don Parsons in Stockton, CA. No sooner did I put in a request to the TV station to use the video on our site, than I received a link from another member Bob Kayes that the video was already out on youtube.

This makes it easy, as somebody else has already done the hard part!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IlkorZrWa0
Bill Basler