Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Trading Dock

Every so often the executives of The Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club will pose a question asking for your thoughts. Or maybe you have something that you would like to share with us. Step up on the soap box here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

tkhersom

Trading Dock

Post by tkhersom » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:11 am

As of January 1st 2019 Trading Dock will be taken down. The Board of Directors of The Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club have made the decision to shut down Trading Dock due to it's expense vs benefit ratio. The board members and IT are looking into another option to add a classified section to our main site later in 2019.
Thank you for your continued support!
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

drrot

Re: Trading Dock

Post by drrot » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:37 am

Personally I think it is a mistake. But then I do a lot of buying/selling there. It is a benefit of the club that helps the hobby.

Oberon01

Post by Oberon01 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:35 am

Unsure of the reasoning or the costs here, but might I suggest taking down the Facebook page instead? It seems to manifest a pernicious and consistent undermining of the club, yet it remains. Is the club aware of any direct, measurable benefit accruing from the Facebook page? That would be informative. At present and to the uninformed such as myself, the FB page seems almost parasitic whereas that is unlikely be said about the Trading Dock.

At least with Jim, there is evidence of Trading Dock serving it's intended purpose.

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:32 am

The trading dock for some bizar reason costs a crap load of money to host. And no traffic to it, or uses it. We have the same issue on Woody Boater Classified. Its there, and doesnt cost much for us. But useless. I agree to take it down. Clean up all the loose ends. As to facebook, I also agree, but someone else will jump on and create a site to fill the crap void. So the solution there is to monitor it. This is a can of worms when trying to figure this out. I support what ever the leaders of the club do! They have thought this through to painful conclusions

Oberon01

Post by Oberon01 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:39 am

I don't know the reasons or the costs, so of course I will defer on that point. I don't know why the Trading Dock would or should cost much (or anything) more than the hosting for the regular site. I suppose if there was an easy solution, it would have been taken and the Trading Dock promoted somehow. I am not in a position to be overtly critical of the decision, as I don't know the specifics.

FB is another thing though, and I suspect that a dearth or expertise or volunteer manpower is the reason for the page not being moderated, controlled or focused in a way that advances the objectives of the club and its' members. The lack of moderation does not necessarily excuse the preservation of the page though, when available information seems to support that position that the FB page is a negative contributor to the club itself. A comparison of activity and engagement levels on Boat Buzz with the FB page will likely serve as supporting evidence.

I saw the writing on the wall with FB years ago, when I was in a position of some influence (if not leadership) with the CCABC. Had the decision been mine, I would have either canned the whole page and re-launched it in a moderated form with a singular and clearly defined purpose, and/or I would have formed a committee to develop a coherent social media strategy and implemented same. Neither of those things seems to have happened and though I can't say for sure because I am not a social media user whatsoever any longer, it appears from a distance that nothing has changed.

I believe that organizations like CCABC have a pressing and immediate need to re-allocate resources partially away from legacy communication and marketing platforms and adjust to the rapid evolution and change that we have been seeing for years now. The Trading Dock was rendered obsolete and irrelevant in a very short period of time because of external developments, for the most part. These developments continue and all membership-driven organizations face an existential challenge from the very forces that compelled the extinction of the Trading Dock, as they have with many other old-line, traditional hobby club offerings. The Trading Dock used to be of considerable value to the CCABC and its' members, and poof - then overnight it wasn't.

The same result will be the inevitable outcome for untold numbers of hobbyist, fraternal and other membership-driven organizations everywhere if adaptation and evolution is not managed and implemented. The old membership value proposition for organizations all over the world is is in tatters, and I am not sure if anyone has figured out a solution yet, or if one is even available.

drrot

Post by drrot » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:18 pm

Please do something. I refuse to do Fakebook. The account there with my name on it was put up by Fakebook and I had nothing to do with it. Can't deal with people like that.

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:07 pm

It used to be simple. Unfortunately the quantity of information has swallowed up the quality. I really enjoyed the old format of The Buzz and always checked Trading Dock. Regardless of where it all goes, I’m still the same old guy working on and appreciating my old Chris Craft. That won’t change.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:07 am

I am with brother Staib! John in Va

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:25 am

As usual, Paul's cogent analysis is right on the money. Solutions are not entirely clear but ccabc, and acbs for that matter, have relied on magazines as a principal format for communication. we know this is not sustainable for a variety of reasons, including the substantial percentage of dues going to printing and mailing, which are completely eliminated with electronic formats.
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:24 pm

to expand on my clueless response: I don't know squat about this stuff but know for sure that I am not going to use fakebook. My rather rare classic boat, a Fairchild Scout 30, got a fakebook page back in the day and while I would love to be able to communicate with other owners...I am not going to sign up. I can read most of the post on the quite old and ill used fakebook page but can not interact. A fellow in Australia just go a Scout and is having it shipped over there and has questions I could answer were the fakebook not in the loop...but then...where is a loop? Some of you cyber heads need to save our varnish and gear head asses.
John in Va.

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:15 pm

Good news!

We have found that we can host Trading Dock far more reasonably, so it will be staying up for now.

The Board of Directors is still looking into a new classified that will be part of our main site, but we should be able to keep Trading Dock active until that version is up and running.

Thanks for all the input.
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

Paul P
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, Cumberland River and Lake system

Post by Paul P » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:45 am

Check out the CCABC Dock Shop, stocked full of great logo items and some custom items too !
Our fabulous logo was designed by Catalyst Communications in Chicago, the same people who put together our BRASS BELL publication. It's distinctive, exclusive, and it looks great on many things. If you purchase one of these items, a small percentage is added, and this helps in a small but appreciated way with club expenses and helps us continue printing our quarterly magazine and also helps keep membership low.

Here is the link !! https://cafepress.com/ccabcdockshop

1956 17' CC Sportsman, 300-hp
1957 17' CC Sportsman, 95-hp
1966 20' CC fiberglass Sea Skiff, 210-hp+
1973 23' CC Lancer inboard project, 427/375-hp.
1966 38' CC Commander Express, 427/300-hp(2)

So many boats.........so little time.....but what a way to go!!

bobphoenix

Post by bobphoenix » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:56 am

New member here... and I'm trying to play catch up with a lot of these posts...

Before I read this thread I did post on Trading Post, I am looking for replacement windshield glass for my, (as I am find out...) very rare and difficult to resource, 1978 seventeen foot Lancer Stinger... So, thanks for making the decision to keep it up.

Regarding the cost to keep it up, I am a little taken aback and confused...
I administer five web sites through eight domains and all my clients pay one flat rate for a full year of unlimited web hosting each. The hosting company provides Unlimited Disk Space - Scale-able bandwidth - host unlimited additional domains - unlimited email accounts - free Domain Registration (1st year), free Setup - 50 MySQL Databases... Blogging - Photo Albums and a basic shopping Cart are included, along with SSL, & Stats. They Support FTP, CGI, PHP, Perl, and have 24x7 Customer Support... and the best part for an administrator is... is their 99.999% up time!

With domain name renewal, web hosting and privacy protection... I charge my clients $275 per year. (There are no add-ons or extras!) (I take $25 for annual ICANN maintenance.) They also offer a full E-commerce package for about $450 a year.

I would suggest the board look into more bang for their respective web investment buck!

On a side note: let me know if you want the name of my web hosting company... (I didn't use it in this post because I don't want to appear as it I am selling them...) I just think, from what I've heard, they are a really good value.