Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Fasteners?

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

joanroy

Fasteners?

Post by joanroy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:03 pm

Any professional boat restores guys out there that would have an educated guess of the Total Number of fasteners used to completely build and finish any size Vintage Chris Craft? This is a stupid question, I know, but if I can get some kind of an estimate on any size boat I can do the math and have a clue about how many fasteners hold my 36 together. Can't sleep trying to figure it out. Thanks in advance.

Clueless

robertpaul

Re: Fasteners?

Post by robertpaul » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:17 pm

I'm not a pro but I do know fasteners. For the bottom of our 35' cruiser there were (I took out each and every one) Four screws per plank per frame and intermediate frame. Count the number of planks from the keel to the chine and multiply by four. The frames and intermediates were spaced about 6 inches apart so that makes 70 or so (including the transom bow). so multiply the first product (planksX4) by 70. I know there are fewer planks at the bow but we aren't splitting the atom here. So now you have 4 screws X 6 planks (on average) X 70 frames (or so). Screws on the keel are spaced about 3 inches apart, about the same on the chines and keelsons. So multiply 4 (4 screws per foot) X (length of the keel+length of chine+ 2X the length of the keelson (they have two sides each). Now multiply all that by 2, because there are two sides of the boat. That comes out to about 4000! Each gusset has 8 screws, each floor has 12. The same same count applies above the chine, that is to say four screws per frame per plank including the intermediates. The topside planks are battened together and the screws are about 3 inches apart. I'm losing count but that's getting to be a ton of screws.... don't get me started on bolts! Can't get to sleep!!! Wait until you have to think about replacing them! Trust me, you won't want to sleep for fear of nightmares.

ps I forgot there are 14 in each butt block and about 100 for each cavitation plate above the props.
Attachments
S1090001.JPG
"billions and billions" Carl Sagan.
1937 35' Double Stateroom Enclosed Cruiser

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:52 pm

Actually, it was mainly duct tape :shock:

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:10 pm

Brilliant screwey synopsis Professor Rob. Are we forgetting about hardware,interior finish and fixtures? 4000 plus and counting. Oh, what about shaft log screws and and and........... work in progress. Gotta get some sleep.

Doug, duct tape will be just fine on a Roamer.

Bob B

Post by Bob B » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:40 am

Somebody here has a screw loose.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:12 am

Ok guys....this is getting weird......now it is REALLY time to just "go boating"!

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:39 am

I'm not done yet! I forgot about the hundreds and hundreds of these little gems that fasten the inner planks to the outer planks on the INSIDE of the bottom between the frames. Probably 1000 in a 35' footer. Did you know that to remove them after 75 years usually requires cleaning the dirt out of the slot first. Every slot. Bass season starts tomorrow so it will be 'tools down' most days.
Attachments
M2350001.JPG
"continuous as the stars that shine and twinkle on the milky way" Woodsworth
1937 35' Double Stateroom Enclosed Cruiser

Greg Wallace

Post by Greg Wallace » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:49 pm

When the mariners museum opens up you might try ordering the "Materials Specification" List for your model boat. If available it will tell you exactly how many and what size was used and just about everything else that went into the construction including the length, color and size of the wire.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:36 pm

WOW! Greg Wallace, I had no idea such detailed specifications are available at the Museum. Unfortunately I understand they're closed for quite some time. I will follow up on that when they re-open. But for now........

Your absolutely right John in VA, it is time to go boating and I'm still on the hard. Took too much apart this year, pulled all my running gear, both shafts, forward struts, cutless bearings, etc., so had to realign and put it all back together. Lots of time in the bilge and under it. All back together finally. Bottom paint and launch hopefully next week.

Bob B, having a screw loose, but in a good way, is an absolute requirement if you own a 1948 CC cruiser.

Rob, much thanks to you, keep counting.........