Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

removal of windows on Chris Craft Commander

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Vogt, Al Benton, Don Ayers

waldonwoods

removal of windows on Chris Craft Commander

Post by waldonwoods » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:48 pm

I have just acquired a 1956 Chris Craft Commander. 11 windows were shot out by vandals. How do I remove and replace them, is that done from the inside or outside, and what is difficulty of removing them? They are on both upper level and lower level and in front. Thank You.

boat_art

Re: removal of windows on Chris Craft Commander

Post by boat_art » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:19 pm

Do you have any photos? They can help a lot in seeing what you need to do.
Tom
http://www.boatartgallery.com
1956 CC Connie 47'
1959 Caulkins bartender
1965 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer
1953 Chris Craft Holiday
1941 Chris Craft Deluxe
Plus 8-12 customer boats at any time
God don't count the days spent messing around in wood boats.

srlittin

Re: removal of windows on Chris Craft Commander

Post by srlittin » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:56 pm

Having just removed, resealed the windows on our 1957 30' Constellation, all the pictures I can find look to be the same on the Commander.

The forward cabin windshield glass is removed from the outside by removing the stainless trim around the glass. Carefully try to remove the drive nails that are retaining the trim. The chrome trim that goes around to the side windows does not need to be removed.

The cabin side windows are removed inside the cabin. The upper and lower wooden trim boards need to be removed. This allows the window screens if fitted to be removed. Next is to remove the top spacer boards and top track as one piece. As they are pulled inwards the sliding window will tilt inwards to allow removal of this from the tracking.

Once the sliding windows are removed then the lower window track can be removed. These were originally nailed with a spacer to the lower window support wood. The track needs to be removed to allow access to the lower wooden spacer that is retaining the fixed windows in position. These are screwed to the lower window support and well sealed/caulked.

There is also a wooden spacer/window stop, top and bottom that is in the opening for the sliding window that stops the fixed windows from moving backward. Be careful removing the lower piece as the water drain tubes at the rear of these are angle drilled thru the wood. These are also suspect to rot as they always wet. The forward window is sealed into a groove in the angled roof support, this is hard to remove if the sealer is still in good condition. The window must slide backwards to remove it.

The rear fixed window is a little harder as the wood trim on the divider needs to be removed. The screws for this are under the vertical window track of the forward sliding window. The track again was originally nailed thru the divider to the wood trim. Carefully remove the track to gain access to the screws holding the wood trim to the divider post. If this is well sealed then carefully cut thru the sealer to ease the wood trim from the window. Once all of the above is removed, then the rear fixed window should be easy to remove.

The forward triangle windows are removed by removing the lower trim board ( if not already removed above ), removing the lower wooden spacer and then the lower glass retainer. The window glass then lowers down out of the grooves in the wood windshield posts. How hard this is depends on the condition of the sealer retaining the glass.

Once the side windows are removed I would recommend removing and checking the lower window support wood as these form the water drains for the windows, and if the sealer is all dry and cracked then these start to rot. These need to be well sealed to the cabin side panels. New stainless steel window tracking with Teflon wear strips are available from Restoration Specialties in Pa.
I screwed new tracks in with countersunk screws to make these easier to reseal in the future.

The upper windshield I have not messed with yet, that is next on the winter to do list

This is a very time consuming job, easy to mess up the window drains. And no shortage of other problems can arise.
I will post some pictures tomorrow .

Hope this helps.
Good luck with your boat.

Steve