Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

WILCOX-CRITTENDEN seacock

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

williamjourdan

WILCOX-CRITTENDEN seacock

Post by williamjourdan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:47 pm

So does anyone still have them installed on a mid 60's cruiser?

bronze 1 /14" sea cocks

I believe 4 of mine are original, that would make them 50 years old. Is that a problem?

I serviced forward sea cocks a few month back on the hard and they seemed good??

Did not have time to finish, had to get back in the water.
Last edited by williamjourdan on Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1965 Chris Craft Challenger 38
CBA-38-0076

joanroy

Re: Wilcox Critterdon Sea Cocks

Post by joanroy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:00 am

How long does a sea cock last? If the wood is solid around them and they don't wiggle side to side when you give em a little tug on the hard and the shut offs work smoothly they might be OK. Then again after fifty plus years I doubt if their as good as new. In the short run I'd install a high water bilge alarm and tie a tapered plug on each one so its handy to jam in if one lets go. It's a good idea to change them out for preventative maintenance and piece of mind.

williamjourdan

Re: Wilcox Critterdon Sea Cocks

Post by williamjourdan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:08 pm

Thanks. yes, they are very tight in the hull. I am researching them now trying to figure out how old they are.

Seems this forum is ether dead or mostly fast boats :)

but what I find odd is the 7/8 flange and jam nut seem wrong for Wilcox critterdon, they should be 15/16. Confused
1965 Chris Craft Challenger 38
CBA-38-0076