Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Can't get the steering wheel off

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jbyers

Can't get the steering wheel off

Post by jbyers » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:03 pm

Before I bung up my wheel on my 58 Cavalier, can someone tell me from these pictures if I need to do anything other than use a puller and some WD 40? I see there is some sort of key or slot in the shaft surrounding the threaded shaft, but I am not sure what function it serves.

I tried a gear puller but it wouldn't give me the right angle to get to the base of the back side of the steering wheel. Has anyone used anything else on this type of wheel??
Attachments
IMG_0843.JPG
IMG_0999.JPG
IMG_0998 (2).JPG

dreed

Re: Can't get the steering wheel off

Post by dreed » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:47 am

I took the whole assembly out, cut two 2x4's about three inches longer than the whole assembly. I then duct taped the 2x4's to the steering column, stood it on end, applied PB Blaster for a few days, applied heat, and tapped on the center throttle tube without damaging the threads. I hope this helps. Good luck
1953 CC Riviera 18-R-927

51resorter

Re: Can't get the steering wheel off

Post by 51resorter » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:39 am

Are you a member of Don Danenberg's forum? If not, I sugget joining, there is a huge resource of info there.

Go to http://www.danenberboatworks.com and on the home page there is a link to the forum. There is a thread with some info on removing your wheel without damaging it or the steering shaft:

http://eveforum.danenbergboatworks.com/ ... 2620064373

While this shows a custom made puller, it should give some ideas on how to safely remove the wheel. The search function at the upper left on the forum will reveal other threads of this same topic.