Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Really lost title

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Mark Christensen

Really lost title

Post by Mark Christensen » Sun May 24, 2015 4:28 pm

My buddy bought a Lyman from a restoration shop about 5 years ago. They had bought it from a guy who passed away in '93. They have my buddy a title but no bill of sale. He has since lost the title and never had the title changed over to my buddy's name. My buddy then sold the boat to someone and just gave them a bill of sale and no title of course because he lost it. The new buyer is trying to register the boat and is having trouble because he has no title. The boat was last registered in IL, and the new buyer is in wisconsin. Any ideas on what the options are?
1961 24' Chris Craft Sportsman - CUA-24-0007C
1940's Homebuilt 14' Racing Hydroplane

Captain Nemo

Re: Really lost title

Post by Captain Nemo » Sun May 24, 2015 4:58 pm

What year is the Lyman? I think in NY Anything b/4 1973 doesn't require a title. You might want to look into that. I don't know the regs in Wi. or Il. It's possible it never had one.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Sun May 24, 2015 7:03 pm

I went through this in MA. They made me send a registered letter to the previous owner stating he needed to register the boat. If he refused the letter then they would give me a new title and register it.

He did not accept the letter and I am registered. Took a long time.

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

Pete DeVito

Post by Pete DeVito » Sun May 24, 2015 8:31 pm

I would think that every state is a little different but I have had to register two boats that did not have titles.
Both my boats were in Florida and all I needed was a notarized statement that said there was no previous titles and I submitted a bill of sale and the tag department ordered a title for me.
The second one I had a bill of sale that was notarized and the tag department ordered me a title.

If the boat actually had a title you can just get a replacement title at the DMV. I have had to get a few replacement titles but it will be in the previous owners name.
Past Project 1948 17' Deluxe
Past Project 1957 19' Capri
Future Project 1955 17' Special Sportsman

JimF
Club Executive Team

Post by JimF » Mon May 25, 2015 8:23 am

I have been through this a few times. There are companies that can do this for you but it will cost some money. http://www.titlerecovery.com is an example of one of these companies but you can find others if you shop around. The way it works is that they register the boat as theirs in a non-title state like Alabama. Then they "sell" you your boat back and give you the Alabama registration and anything else you might need to take to your DMV or equivalent and register your boat and get a title.
If you have a friend in one of the no-title states you could probably do this for just the costs of registrations.
1930 Chris-Craft Model 100 20' "MOXIE"
1940 Chris-Craft Red and White 25' "Old Paint"
1946 Chris-Craft Sportsman 25' "CinCity"

quitchabitchin

Post by quitchabitchin » Mon May 25, 2015 9:58 pm

Indiana is also an easy state in which to get a title. If you have friends there try that. I was told by the DNR in Ohio to use Indiana as a source to get a new title because it is very simple.
FLASH1969 Chris Craft Cavalier Ski-230 HP 327Q

CCABC Board of Directors Member