Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

1969 CC Corvette

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

joanroy

Re: 1969 CC Corvette

Post by joanroy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 am

I think it would be great to keep this Thread at the top of the Buzz charts until the right Buzzer discovers it and pulls the trigger. Obviously a fantastic example of a late and great wooden CC cruiser. I'm thinking there's a small boat guy out there who's always wondered What's it Really like Owning a Cruiser. If we're lucky the restoration will be posted on the Buzz for our continued pleasure and amusement. Live the 69 Corvette fantasy vicariously. Its all your fault Peter.

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:47 am

I posted it to the Facebook CCABC page this morning. 8)

First I posted it to a thread Paul Pletcher has going about 427's, than I posted it on it's own.

I would LOVE to get a ride in that thing! :mrgreen:
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:47 am

34 is a really low production number. I wonder how many 69 Corvettes are left after 45 years? Does anyone know of another one out there somewhere?

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:54 pm

There is one for sale on Yachtworld in Cheybogan Mi...... 50 grand. It has 327Q's in it

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:02 pm

I've said this before: The cruisers will by far be the rarest boats in the CC lineup 25 years from now.... They don't have the benefit of being a barn find. They die outside in the weather, and the people who are willing to pony up for the restorations are fewer because of the ongoing storage issues. Besides, there isn't a cruiser model made that can compare to the numbers that most of the popular open boats were produced in. Hell, they made 55 21' Cobras, and dozens of the larger boats had smaller production numbers than that. There are undoubtedly many of the larger boats that are now extinct. The sixties open boats are just starting to be recognized, and they were small numbers too, as fibreglass took over.

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:35 am

All true Peter. The only thing rarer than a wooden CC cruiser will be the person with the passion and willingness to make the commitment. I'm working on my 10 year old grandson. He loves my old cruiser and I tell him "ya know Ethan, when your my age this might be the only wooden boat like this in the world and you can have it , but you have to do really well in school and get a good job so you can afford it." So far my strategy seems to be working. He's all in, but time will tell.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:41 am

I spent the night on my cherished old cruiser last night.....sadly you guys are right...but hey....while I can...I am keeping the faith!

John in Va
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:52 pm

I like that this second Corvette has a swim/boarding platform. :D

I find they make it more usable, but then again I am in a rare situation by being on a mooring, not a slip.
Attachments
DSC07121.JPG
Low Tide

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:39 pm

John in VA, your a lucky guy to be able to stay aboard this time of year. On the south coast of Mass our season is from the middle of May to the middle of October, but my wife and I both love staying aboard in the summer and do so at least five nights a week. I always get a great nights sleep and it's fantastic waking up to the sunrise over the water.

Troy, don't know where your located in Maine, but man that is certainly a beautiful spot to be moored. Interesting wooden structure in the corner of the photo. What is that?

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:45 pm

The Bay of Quinte is frozen, and it was -10F here for the last couple of days. Not a good time to live aboard. :mrgreen:

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:15 am

Joanroy: Thanks! This is a Beautiful area to live and boat.

The wood structure you are seeing is a dock/pier with the ramp pulled up onto it for off season storage. The float has been taken away and pulled up on ways.

This picture is not the same pier but will give you a good idea of what it looks like when the float is in the water.
Attachments
CompDSC06986.jpg
Sitting on the dock of the bay.

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:10 am

We kept our cruiser in an oversized covered slip on the Mississippi River above St. Louis and spent a few winter nights aboard her. We used an ice eater to keep her from freezing in and had electric heaters in the cabin to keep somewhat warm. With no insulation and drafty windows the heaters ran full time but made it tolerable. The Eagles start fly fishing at day break and made the cold night worth while.

Keith, it's good to hear that your one of a kind 42-foot, 1955 Corvette is still going strong in Norfolk, VA. One must wonder why only one of these was built. The remaining 11 cruisers built on this same hull didn't receive the aft cabin and became the 42-foot Express with an open aft deck.

The layout was a bit strange in it, and in the 36-foot model the previous year. Access to the aft cabin was via the open bridge (helm).

There's a 1953, 34-foot Enclosed Cruiser like yours here that is looking for a new caretaker. She is all original and lives in a covered slip. Her twin K engines need some work, but still run. Her bright work is well preserved, but also needs some TLC. She has received some bottom work over the years but is mostly original. In her earlier years she did The Great Loop and has been to The Bahamas. Her present owner's parents purchased her new.

The 1969 Corvette is indeed an different breed of mahogany boats for a Chris-Craft. Although I'm also a fan of the traditional look of other 50's and 60's Chris-Craft designs, this Corvette is entriguing.
Al
Member - Executive Team

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:32 am

Being friends with both Al and Keith this has been a neat post for two reasons...Keith is getting the boat repaired and Al has started posting again!!!

I found myself in the embarrassing position of catching up to Al in the postings department....

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:17 am

John, I have been missing out on far too much by not posting on Boat Buzz (except From The Club and Business) for the past three years. Hey, you had your chance to catch up with me in the posting department, but you still need to double your count plus 245 more to catch me.

John, I look forward to seeing you in Tavares in just a few weeks.
Al
Member - Executive Team