Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

1949 sportman boarding/swim platform

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

martyhills

1949 sportman boarding/swim platform

Post by martyhills » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi all,

I have a 1949 Deluxe Sportsman, which I have kept original. Anything I have added can be removed within an hour to take it back to originality. We use the boat extensively over the summer, and swim off it very regularly. The issue that we have is that it takes a bit of effort to go over the side when you are swimming in deep water, then pull the dog up as well. I am thinking that it needs a boarding platform on the back of it. But don't want to take away from the original design. Has anybody done or seen this? Are there any designs out there for a removable board?

Thanks.

Martin

truenorth01

Re: 1949 sportman boarding/swim platform

Post by truenorth01 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:32 pm

Well there is a fantastic ccmpany i have used on my SeaRay Amberjack fiberglass boat on three different occasions when substituting teak. Their name is Plasteak. If i am visualizing what you want to do they are worth a look/contact. They have a good website and you can visit them at the Cleveland Ohio boat show this winter. I fear that anything as far as a swim platform will involve too much drilling and speed brackets on the transom mahogany. I am a purist on the wood boats so move forward at your own comfort level.

You can search their website by name. They can custom make a platform to fit your tranwom. They offer instructions and how to use the template.

I have had them make a pair of swim platform drop in inserts, port and starboard gunwale step pads and a custom bow pulpit to accomodate a windlass.

Best of luck.

Mark from MI.

Greg Wallace

Post by Greg Wallace » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:40 am

I'm pretty sure Chris Craft offered a removable (bracketed) fold down swim ladder as an accessory for these. Duplicate and you can preserve originality while making it easy to get in and out.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

quitchabitchin

Post by quitchabitchin » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:21 am

There are removable options for ladders such as this-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boarding-Ladder ... 96&vxp=mtr

Or there were optional ladders that hang over the side, I see them on eBay on occasion.

My boat has a fully removable swim platform. There are brackets mounted to the transom and the platfom slides down over them and is pinned in place. I can get the manufacturer's name and info if you like. You could just use the brackets and build your own platform to match the boat.
Attachments
BGR7.jpg
FLASH1969 Chris Craft Cavalier Ski-230 HP 327Q

CCABC Board of Directors Member

JacobErdey

Post by JacobErdey » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:17 pm

Hey guys, just wanted to revive this thread in case anyone has any more info on this subject? I have an 18' Sportsman I'd like to add a removable swim platform to and I'm trying to figure out my options. My first thought was just two main anchor points to bolt through the transom, and eventually if I want to sell it, the platform can be removed and the bolt holes patched. Or do two T-style vertical tracks screwed to the transom and make the brackets on the swim platform slide onto it. This would make for smaller holes to patch, probably 6-8 small screw holes opposed to 2-4 bolt holes. If anyone has done this before, seen one done this way, or has a good idea about how it would effect the value, I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks
Current Project: 1950 Chris Craft Sportsman 18'