Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

The Wooden Boat Thing

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

joanroy

The Wooden Boat Thing

Post by joanroy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:58 am

Has anybody come up with a logical reason to own an Antique Chris Craft Cruiser?

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Re: The Wooden Boat Thing

Post by Don Ayers » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:05 am

There isn't much logic in most of the decisions we make about anything.

Logic need not apply
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

boat_art

Post by boat_art » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:22 am

In my case, it keeps me humble.
http://www.boatartgallery.com
1956 CC Connie 47'
1959 Caulkins bartender
1965 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer
1953 Chris Craft Holiday
1941 Chris Craft Deluxe
Plus 8-12 customer boats at any time
God don't count the days spent messing around in wood boats.

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:36 am

I wanted one! I got one! I'm keeping it! Besides, it rides real nice.

Flawless logic I would say.
1937 35' Double Stateroom Enclosed Cruiser

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:49 am

Happiness!...........

...................when your not pouring money into it. 8)
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:46 am

For some people owning vintage cars and boats isnt hard.....they have sufficient disposable income. They simply get a restorer, and pay them to put the boat in working condition at the level they desire....not much hardship involved....just a financial decision. A lot of rich folks only need to be committed to the financing.

boat_art

Post by boat_art » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:40 pm

As a restorer, I appreciate those that spend the money. A an owner, I thoroughly enjoy the hours I get to spend working on it. Best of both worlds for me.
http://www.boatartgallery.com
1956 CC Connie 47'
1959 Caulkins bartender
1965 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer
1953 Chris Craft Holiday
1941 Chris Craft Deluxe
Plus 8-12 customer boats at any time
God don't count the days spent messing around in wood boats.

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:59 pm

Great answers guys, but I'm trying to figure out why so few of us love the wooden boat and the rest of the population look at me like I have two heads when I tell them I own a 65 year old cruiser. I think I'm a fairly logical common sense guy, but when it comes to Joan Roy I'm a fool for love. Was I born that way , or is it a learned behavior? If we could figure out what draws us to it ,we could bottle it and convince more folks to save an old boat. What the heck is that "Wooden Boat Thing?"

laclede

Post by laclede » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:30 pm

G
Last edited by laclede on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:48 pm

Laclele, I hoped you would chime in. "Left the Reservation" pretty much sums it up. Great title for a book. Now we should probably get back to the repairs and restorations. What the hell, somebody has to do it.

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:07 pm

Actually, I don't own things to make me feel special in the context of how other people look at me. I don't care really. I grew up with the sort of boats I own, they were part of my surroundings. My summers were special times, and I suppose I hold on to those memories through the ownership of my boats. I wouldn't care if there were hundreds of them around me, it wouldn't change how I feel about them. I can see my ownership coming to an end. There will be a time where I cannot continue to work or them or fund the work.

Rarity and value are not related. The CC cruisers are a good example. Compared to the runabouts, the numbers are substantively smaller, yet little interest remains in preserving them, even in the organized wooden boating community. Again, I don't have my boats to please or to be included in a given group. A good part of my romanticism is blue collar in nature. I do my own work, I take pride in it, and I generally do it well. I couldn't afford to own the boats I have if I had to pay restorers to work on them, so I learned the skills necessary to do it myself. That said, I am hard on myself in terms of measuring my results, but that is how I improve my skills. I have been fortunate to have some very good mentors.

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:02 pm

The greatest joy I receive from vintage boat ownership is the piece of mind I get by working on a boat. Once I finish a boat, or get to where someone says "That's enough varnish", I sell it for usually what I paid for it originally, plus 20 cents an hour for my time... then get another.
I have owned 2 large cruisers, but found that I could not work on them because I lacked the proper facilities.
Boat yards chuckle when you say you wish to work on a wooden boat in their yard.
I have hauled a 42' to my property but again lacked buildings large enough to restore her. Sold her very cheap.

The smaller trailerable boats that we can work on in our garages have a larger survival rate, as these the boats we remembered in our youth, we are buying nostalgia.

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:09 pm

I really can't come up with any logical reason why I keep a wood cruiser. It's just that I can relate to them. I grew up in my father's marina in the 60's and 70's and came to appreciate them. My grandfather gave me his 1947 23' Chris express cruiser when I was just thirteen, and I have owned nothing but wood boats since. The way a wood boat sits and moves through the water just seems more natural than plastic boats do. A wood boat just smells good. They are pleasing to the senses for me. I know that doesn't sound logical to some folks. :roll:
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:43 am

Interesting comments. Gets me thinking about why I am involved in restoring older boats. For me it has been wood and glass. I think I just have a strong desire to bring a great looking boat back to it's original glory. The '65 Chris Craft Sea Skiff I am working on is a model I have always admired. For years I liked the lines on the Trojan tri cabin, before acquiring my '74 in '08. I think it is my respect for these old boats that motivates me. I do feel special owning the boats I have restored and I do enjoy the smiles and comments from others. Particularly those who share the passion for an old boat looking good. 8)

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:05 am

This tread was started two days ago and somehow this is the first I have seen it.

As most of you know this is the struggle I am dealing with at this very moment.

Trying to justify putting the money behind a passion that will never equal in value the finances expended.

IF there is any logic to it, I think Matt Smith captured it this morning with the header on Woodyboater.
Fenn-idaho.jpg
Caption reads: "FIBERGLASS RESISTS WATER. WOOD CANNOT. THEREIN LIES THE DIFFERENCE.
Wood is natural, Water is natural, they just seem to go together.
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:03 pm

Joan Roy is a 1948 and I'm a 1950. Same vintage. I'm thinking the wooden boat thing IS generational. I remember when the harbor had only wooden boats and the air was just full of that wooden boat smell. You know the one I'm talking about. Its a beautiful thing to remember . Simpler times. Do you suppose when our generation is gone, that will be the end of it? I hope not.
Anyway, I do love working on that old boat. Might sound crazy, but I think I like working on it more than I like cruising in it. Blue collar time machine. As for the expense? Not bad if you consider the cost of a waterfront rental for the season. Now this seems logical. Buy an old CC cruiser cheap, spend a lot of time having fun working on it in the winter, hang out on it , and in it, and cruising in the summer. If I'm living in the past its a damn fine place to be.

Thanks guys for helping me think through "The Wooden Thing ".

laclede

Post by laclede » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:49 pm

I t
Last edited by laclede on Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:25 pm

I will make just one more observation from our many years with our Chris. At some point, everyone we have had along with us, or other boat owners we had just met (wood, glass, aluminium, steel, power, sail....) and had been invited aboard, or looked at Elude from the dock - they put their hands on her. Just to feel the wood, varnish and curves. They usually asked first and we encouraged them to look and touch to their heart's content. Others would just stare for a while into the grain of a varnished plank illuminated by a late August sun and seem to absolutely zone out. When we fired up to leave an island dock or anchorage, folks would stop what they are doing to watch and wave goodbye. "Must be a lot of work", many would remark at some point. "No", I would say, "its not work at all".

lubba lubba lubba lubba

Rob (still freezing in Toronto)
1937 35' Double Stateroom Enclosed Cruiser

54 Conqueror

Post by 54 Conqueror » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:42 pm

Saving a piece of history, one coat of varnish at a time....

fozbuzz

Post by fozbuzz » Wed May 14, 2014 4:30 pm

I'm in the process of refurbishing a 1965 32' Connie, bought floating in 2010 for $1200, had it running in 2 days, been enjoying riding, sleeping, working on it almost every weekend since!! I'm 62, had a wooden boat of some type since 1978, own 4 now--a homebuilt 1956 14' speedster, 2 17' Sportsman, and the Connie--the license surround on my 72 Chevelle ragtop says "My Other Ride is a Chris Craft"--"the Wooden Boat Thing" has been with me most of my life!! somebody else said it earlier--Wood and water are both natural, they go together--glass belongs in the cupboard!!
Attachments
5-11 Connie.jpg
Miss Deborah's hard work

iamallthumbs

Post by iamallthumbs » Wed May 14, 2014 7:11 pm

I noticed a Laciede comment in this thread from february and have to ask what don't I understand about this forum? My screen often shows that Laciede's comment is a single letter or symbol. His thread of his boat repair is primarily the same way. Is this a code or another level of access I don't have?
Mike D.

1947 CC Deluxe Runabout R-17-413 BOOMER (user boat)
1947 CC Deluxe Runabout R-17-872 ZOOM-ZOOM (project boat)
1965 25' Folkboat SALTY DOG (lapstrake sailboat)
Barn with room for more boats!

JohnKadimik

Post by JohnKadimik » Wed May 14, 2014 7:49 pm

Was wondering that also.

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Wed May 14, 2014 8:37 pm

He has deleted all his postings

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Thu May 15, 2014 6:14 am

That started very early on in the original thread and is the very reason I do not follow it.

IMHO, without the format of the original question the advice is lost for any future reference.
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

iamallthumbs

Post by iamallthumbs » Thu May 15, 2014 3:07 pm

Okay, now what does IMHO mean?
Mike D.

1947 CC Deluxe Runabout R-17-413 BOOMER (user boat)
1947 CC Deluxe Runabout R-17-872 ZOOM-ZOOM (project boat)
1965 25' Folkboat SALTY DOG (lapstrake sailboat)
Barn with room for more boats!

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Thu May 15, 2014 4:11 pm

iamallthumbs wrote:Okay, now what does IMHO mean?
In my humble opinion....but with Troy...who knows?