Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Registration Stickers

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Don Vogt, Al Benton

Rabbit

Registration Stickers

Post by Rabbit » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:35 am

I've been boating for a season and a half without displaying my registration sticker in Wisconsin... All on the same lake. Of course, I do display registration numbers (in gold leaf.) I just hate to ruin the mahogany with an ugly red sticker. Our lake association sponsors a lake patrol boat through the local police department and they're out most weekends. But they've never been close enough to see that I'm not displaying them. I suppose it's a matter of time. Any hints on how I could talk my way out of displaying? Or, if I have to display, any thoughts on a less aggressive application method?

mfine

Post by mfine » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:29 am

Just stick it on like everyone else. No one will notice any damage it does to the varnish (if any) as you will always have a sticker there.

parroteyes

Post by parroteyes » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:40 am

My family always had the registration numbers and the lake stickers on a seperate "plank" about 3/8" thick which was attached to the boat with brass screws.

The plank was finished to match the boat and could be removed when the hull needed refinishing.

The plank was sized so the fore and aft screws went into frames and the top and bottom ones into battens. I think they may have alligned 6 of the screws with top side plank screws and removed the original screws for the number plank screws at each corner and at the center top and bottom. Additional long skinny screws pulled the number plank tight to th boat - 6 I think.
Hull # 16-R-OX2 (March 1946)
Engine 1B #26564

That's me 1950 - already a CC lover!

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:58 am

Rabbit, I'm with you. I hate that crap and have not put them on my varnished boats (I did on white hull Skiff).

What I do is put them on a piece of vinyl banner material and carry in the boat with me in case I get stopped.

Never been stopped (not suggesting anyone follow my advise)

just sharing.

I've always told myself that I would gladly pay a fine but I have yet to have it happen.

PS in fairness I don't boat on a regular basis.
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

runabout36

Post by runabout36 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:01 am

I am in Michigan and the MC numbers are gold leafed on the boat. I put the registration stickers on thin plastic and cut to the size of the sticker. I keep them in the glove box. When I run the boat on the lake, I wedge the stickers on the inside corners of the windshield, wedge into the rubber gasket on the deck and the side windshield brackets (3 bracket V windshield). I've never had a problem. I once had a young sheriff question me at the boat ramp, his older partner, using common sense, said it was acceptable. In Michigan your suppose too display the sticker 2 inches past the MC numbers......I'm just not putting it on the varnish. We also have historic watercraft registration, which is signified by the last two letters in the MC numbers....MC 1716 HW (historic watercraft). Technically you are not supposed use the boat with this type of registration for any thing other than a boat show. But I have yet to find a marine patrol that even knows what this registration is. You even have to explain it to the Michigan Secretary of State, many of the clerks don't know it exists.

Tom
1936 CC 19'Double Cockpit Forward

dreed

Post by dreed » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:29 am

I put mine on the windshield.
1953 CC Riviera 18-R-927

JohnKadimik

Post by JohnKadimik » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:56 pm

I put mine under the seat.

jim g

Post by jim g » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:08 pm

I got pulled over once and they were going to write me a ticket. I did have the sticker stuck to the windshield. He told me they had to be on the hull next to the numbers. I told him the ticket was cheaper then the $1500.00 refresher coats of varnish that was just put on it. He looked at me then the boat shook his head and told me to go on my way. Only time in 20 years one has ever question that.

Oberon01

Post by Oberon01 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:15 pm

I have never had registration numbers applied to any of my old boats, and likely never will. I have used them all over the US and in Western Canada and have never been stopped. It is a risk I am willing to live with because I know the expense involved if they are painted on, and it is still an expense if they are adhesive. I even left the OR numbers on one of my boats. I would have had to remove over 40 coats of varnish to get at them - that was not about to happen.

Basically, this is not something that I ever even really think about. By the sounds of it on this thread, the authorities don't worry too much either.
1926 Mullins 16' Outboard Special
1940 CC 19'Custom
1946 Gar Wood 22' 6" Sedan
1946 16' Peterbrough Falcon
1947 CC 16' Special Runabout
1947 Chris Craft 22' Sportsman
1948 CC 25' Sportsman Sedan
1959 Feather Craft Islander Express Cruiser
1961 CC 21' Continental
1965 Glastron Futura 500 V -164
1965 CC Sea Skiff 24'