Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

10 Best Places to Live & Boat

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

BrokenRule2

10 Best Places to Live & Boat

Post by BrokenRule2 » Fri May 13, 2011 11:20 pm

How about a diversion? Boating Magazine just hit my mailbox and inside had the 10 best places to live & boat. I found it very interesting and also odd how some places were missed.

Now I know how some look at us on the left coast and more so from the S.F. Bay Area - but Boating Mag picked two left coast locations and skipped California. I am pondering why... perhaps the "live" part?

Well, some of the locations I understand and others I do not. So as we are in spring and should be boating... how about a wooden boat view of the 10 best places to be a wooden boater?

First off, I do not think California would rate high for cruisers but would rate very high for runabouts with a lot of nice lakes normally within a one to three hours drive. On the down side is the support for wooden boats as compared to say the New England area and just about nothing for shows.

Perhaps this could be interesting and useful for folks to plan vacations and check out areas otherwise overlooked? Perhaps spur a relocation? Why not, from my vantage point the only people out boating here are sail boaters!

Mike

mfine

Post by mfine » Sat May 14, 2011 6:17 am

I think the California job market and other political factors would keep the state off the list due to the live factor.

As far a wood boating, I would put New York and Michigan high on my list for boating opportunity. The finger lakes in NY are just about perfect for runabouts utilities and skiffs. Hard to find fault with lake George either. For the larger boats there's lake Ontario and Erie, Long Island, NY harbor and the Hudson and also the 1000 islands. The summer heat is usually not too oppressive, insect populations are small and managable, and NY offers a nice long restoration season that helps us woody guys be prepared for boating season. Michigan has a lot of great lakes shoreline for the big boys and also a ton of smaller lakes. Both states were popular destination for the wooden classics when they left the factory, and both maintain healthy populations of woodys today. There are also several clubs and shows and resources from helpful people to professional shops within a short distance in either state.

On the otherhand, like California, economic and political issues would hurt both on a places to live.

gbraker

Best Places

Post by gbraker » Sat May 14, 2011 7:39 am

Illinois doesn't have a chance, but Wisconsin and Minnesota might make it. Only problem is the long cold winter which might be enough to drop them off the chart.

Both have many lakes including the great lakes. Plus the Mississippi runs between them.
Gary R Braker

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sat May 14, 2011 9:09 am

The Boating Magazine article was based primarily on 1) Livability, 2) Public Access and 3) Convenience for consideration for a primary or secondary boating home.

One place that was a real eye-opener that made this list is Phoenix, Arizona. When we think of dry states, it's always been at the top of most people's list but it has several beautiful lakes within an hour's drive from Phoenix. It would be a great location for vintage boating.

The state of Missouri made this list with Lake of the Ozarks. What makes it great is the lake-front property that's available along its more than 1100 miles of shoreline and a fairly long boating season. The downside is that it's a busy place on weekends and it's not easy to find calm waters for smaller boats. There are many antique and classic cruisers on the lake that feel at home year-round. My daughter's primary home is on the lake and she has neighbors from as far away as Denver CO who enjoy their secondary home on the lake frequently. There's a couple of airports with commercial and private fly-in services.

Another not so surprising place on this top 10 list is Chattanooga, TN, (Chris-Craft built boats there between 1946 and 1976) on the Tennessee River. It's a great place to live and go classic boating.

Al

Oh, I meant to mention that the only place in Florida that made this list is Destin on the Gulf Coast. I guess the editors have never had reason to check out Central Florida, Lake County in particular. In my book, that would be the ideal place to live and go classic boating.
Last edited by Al Benton on Sat May 14, 2011 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Sat May 14, 2011 9:11 am

If I could live anywhere right now, I would move to northern Wisconsin, but I need to preface my needs. First, I like low population areas, but I want to be close enough to high population areas to visit, fly out of a legit airport, etc. I am not talking living out in the middle of nowhere. I don't want gravel roads (all Wisconsin county roads are hard surfaced). I want a bit of land to spread out and build my dream shop. My son wants to ride his dirt bike. My other kids want me to buy a snowmobile again, etc.

Second, I do like the four seasons. I am not big on Winter, but there are advantages to winter. You have a season with no yard work. Winter makes most of the bugs go away. And it is a great season to never leave the shop.

Third, with kids of all ages I have to look at quality of education and cost of living. From where I live now, I am 5 hours from Minneapolis, Chicago, St Louis, etc. I know 5 hours is more than some would prefer, but remember, I don't want to live in a bigger city, just visit.

Actually, I have always been intrigued with California. I would consider it if I felt I could afford it. I always assumed I couldn't.

I should also say that natural beauty, and greet natural resources are critical. Northern Wisconsin is gorgeous, and very similar to northern Michigan. The water is pure and the fishing is awesome. And the boating on any of the lakes is first rate. You can leave your boat in the water for a week never have a scum line to scrub!
Last edited by Bill Basler on Sat May 14, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Basler

Wilson Wright

Ten Best Places to Live/Boating Magazine

Post by Wilson Wright » Sat May 14, 2011 9:26 am

I didn't think anybody read Boating Magazine any more. The May issue had a several page article on classic boats and nobody even mentioned it.
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Sat May 14, 2011 9:27 am

This is going to sound like a pile of crap.. I have found over the years, that water is water. Its either salty or not. The one thing that makes it fun is people. Geography is all in the mind, and what sort of people do you want to spend time with. This sounds whaked, i know. But think.. Florida is one cheasy place.. I will say it.. But god damm those are some fun people with some cool places to go. And they do, they use the crap out of that place. Michigan has horrible bugs and winters. But everytime I meet someone from there i have a great time. New Jersey.. What the? But one fun crowd. Thats the fun part. Having a pal to help and be helped.. Having cocktails on the dock. Having others around to share the fun. That a good BBQ place..
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sat May 14, 2011 9:54 am

Wilson, I was getting these last year but I suppose my subscription lapsed. I renewed it last month but just started getting it starting with this June issue. I'll see if I can get past ones on their web site and read what they have to say about classic boating.

Matt. You're right about friendships being where ever there are classic boating people and there's always something to complain about locations. Wow, you're right about one thing, when it comes to Central Florida what you say is indeed a "pile of crap". To me, it looks like an ideal place to hang out in the winter months.

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Sat May 14, 2011 12:21 pm

It's PURE MICHIGAN for me.

The bugs and the cold weather help "weed-out" the wimps.

1952 CC 18' Sportsman
1969 CC 19' Commander Super Sport

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Sat May 14, 2011 12:26 pm

Is that your six year old nephew's hand? My word that is a big morel. Houby Days in Cedar Rapids today!
Last edited by Bill Basler on Sat May 14, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Basler

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Sat May 14, 2011 12:47 pm

How is there even an argument...The "Best" place is North Carolina! 8) We dont have to winterize our boats, yet we still have seasons....and a good extended boating season.
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

Wilson Wright

10 best boating sites

Post by Wilson Wright » Sat May 14, 2011 2:37 pm

Winterizing sounds like hi jacking the topis....But now that we've done that...Why is it we winterize in North Florida and you don't in N.C.

Also got the magazine today...Columbia S.C. a great boating site ???....Sounds highly unlikely...Now I can speak for Destin which is why we have a place on the same coast at Carrabelle but remember it is salt water and so opinions might even differ on that one..

..and by the way what ever happened to the Boating Calendar girl contest ?????
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Sat May 14, 2011 2:51 pm

I planned on putting the boat in the water this weekend but it's been too wet. Looks like I'll have to stay inside and enjoy the fresh bluegill, snapping turtle, morels and asparagus.

Florida, South Carolina? Besides mold & mildew, is there any edible fungi that grow down there?

Where are my "Water Wonderlanders" to back me up?

1952 CC 18' Sportsman

gbraker

Snapping Turtle

Post by gbraker » Sat May 14, 2011 3:06 pm

Snappers are good eating, but no fun to clean. I caught a 65 pounder year before last, but I let him go. That's the one thing we have a lot of. Makes me think twice about getting out of the boat.

This is a picture of Geronimo my racing turtle.
Gary R Braker

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sat May 14, 2011 8:01 pm

Gary, looks like a 4-stroke outboard. Patch that chip with some famowood, caulk the seams, do something with that transom and ya got a winner there.

There's plenty of boating styles available in Destin. The Harbor leads straight out into the Gulf, Choctawhatchee Bay is huge and has access to bayous and rivers, a fun place to go boating.

But actually, Charleston, SC would be another great boating destination. I've been on the water there too and had a great time.

doubleboater

places

Post by doubleboater » Sun May 15, 2011 7:15 pm

im gonna have to vote for michigan also but then im biased, i live very close to the detroit river and have a cottage in northern mi. that has three big lakes within 20 min. chad where did you find that monster morel. will ya tell me ill keep it a secret (wink wink,nudge nudge)

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Mon May 16, 2011 8:53 am

My brother found them and even he won't tell me where he found them. He said he found them "in the woods".
1952 CC 18' Sportsman

Wood Commander

Post by Wood Commander » Mon May 16, 2011 9:45 am

The Seattle area seems to be a "best kept secret" for it's boating environment. It is truly a wonderfull and unique place to boat. From the many lakes to the Puget Sound and beyond, including the San Juan Islands which are prime cruising grounds.
You can moor in fresh water in Lake Washington or Lake Union (which is in downtown Seattle) and enjoy ample boating opportunities, or you can easily lock out from there into salt water via the Ballard locks for unlimited adventures and easily return to your fresh water mooring when you are done.

In a way, Seattle sort of has two "coasts". The salt water coast on the Puget Sound, and the freshwater "coast" of Lake Union/the Ship Canal/the Mountlake Cut.
Bret

1953 35' Commander "Adonis III"

1970 23' lancer project

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon May 16, 2011 2:24 pm

Bret, Boating magazine agrees with you. Their description closely matches yours with the best of both worlds accessible from one location with Puget Sound on the Pacific side and Lake Washington and the Ship Canal to the other. It's on my bucket list to visit.

Al

mfine

Post by mfine » Mon May 16, 2011 2:45 pm

So what were their top 10?

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Mon May 16, 2011 4:59 pm

Seattle is a great place...but dont you have to plan around all those rainy days?...so yeah, what was the top 10?
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

Wood Commander

Post by Wood Commander » Mon May 16, 2011 7:44 pm

Actually, Seattle's rainfall averages out to nearly the same as many other areas. It basically rains a very large portion of the time from about October 15th until about mid June. But then in the Summer the yards burn up and turn brown while not getting extremely hot for the most part.
The weather is moderate in temperature due to ocean currents and boating is enjoyed year round.

Until I drove across Washington State when moving to Seattle, I never would have known that the Eastern 2/3ds of the state (East of the Cascade Mountains) is high dessert country.
Bret

1970 23' lancer project

Wood Commander

Post by Wood Commander » Mon May 16, 2011 7:46 pm

Well, maybe high desert country.
Bret

1970 23' lancer project

mfine

Post by mfine » Mon May 16, 2011 8:18 pm

Damn, I was ready to move to high dessert country!

Tightline5

Post by Tightline5 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:26 pm

Chad, we have them in Va. though not as big, and if your brother told you he found them in the woods, he lied. They are always in the hollows in open fields that have low cut grass or low ground cover. As for the survey, everyone proved it, been to most of those places and there's no place like Va , NC, Ga nothing like that southern hospitality. Hell no I'm not bias.
Phil Jones

1948 US Plywood Executive Runabout Hull #1 "WeldWood"
1954 Racing Runabout R-496
1957 Deluxe Runabout D-17-2062
"MISBEHAVIN"

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon May 16, 2011 9:58 pm

We could always enjoy a great dessert in the high desert country of Eastern Washington. I'll add that to my bucket list.

The Boating Magazine 10 Best Places to Live and Boat:

Destin, Florida
Long Island, New York
Newport, Origan
Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Phoenix, Arizona
Seattle, Washington
Columbia, South Carolina
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Traverse City, Michigan

It's based on "...livability, public access, convenience, also on relaxing getaways that should please anyone looking for a primary or secondary boating home". Remember that Boating magazine caters to new and contemporary boating lifestyles, not necessarily ours but many of these are also great places for our kind of boating.

Al

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Mon May 16, 2011 10:04 pm

That list must be in reverse order from #10 to #1.
1952 CC 18' Sportsman

Reginald Down

Post by Reginald Down » Mon May 16, 2011 10:08 pm

Chad - Great minds think alike. I was just about to say the same thing here!

Al, Reverse the List...
Reg Down

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon May 16, 2011 10:26 pm

I looked again and the writer didn't mention that the selections are shown in any particular order. Probably based on how they best fit the pages with the photos that were sent along. Hey, reverse the order, turn it inside out, up side down, add to it, delete some, even enhance some. Our personal selections, based on our "lifestyle" are much more realistic and applicable than theirs.

Al

Reginald Down

Post by Reginald Down » Tue May 17, 2011 12:56 am

I agree Al, there are so many wonderful places to choose from to enjoy the "Lifestyle".
Reg Down